Author Topic: Goats milk fetta  (Read 3040 times)

Tea

Goats milk fetta
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »
Just thought that I would post my results from the goats milk fetta that I made yesterday.  My daughters inlaws run a few goats, and every now and then she send in some frozen milk for me to made some fetta for her.  I had noted in other threads that I have tried making fetta from both store bought and UHT goats milk before, with no success at all.

So this is what I got from the fresh frozen milk.  The recipe that I used is in the recipe exchange section, fetta #4, so I won't repost that here.  Setting time is recommended between 60-90 mins, but I found that after 45mins I had a very good curd set, so I decided to cut at that time.  The curd is then to be left and turned ever hour for 2 hours.  I found that the curd was wanting to mat, which usually doesn't happen with cows milk, so I was stiring probably every 1/2 hour, to try and prevent matting.  At the 1 1/2 hour mark decided that I would drain, as the curd was not wanting to break apart, and I didn't want to over stir.
Also as this is goats milk, I didn't use lipase.  One thing that did strike me is how white this cheese is compared to the cow's milk.

SalMac

Re: Goats milk fetta
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »
Looks really good. Great write up.