Author Topic: Aging Cheese Wheels On Edge  (Read 1963 times)

Likesspace

Aging Cheese Wheels On Edge
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:26:01 AM »
Considering that I've moved to making larger wheels of cheese and considering that my cave is small I've been placing my wheels on their edges so that I can fit more of them in the cave.
In the past I have always aged the cheese laying flat on the rack but with 8" wheels, I can't fit very many of them in the cave.
By laying flat I can age 4 - 5 wheels maximum in each cave. By standing them on edge I can age up to 14 in each cave. My only concern is if this will harm the cheese in any way.
I do turn the wheels every day, usually 180 degrees. So far I have not noticed flat places on the wheels or any other problems.
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is of aging cheese this way.
Thanks in advance.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Aging Cheese Wheels On Edge
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
DAVE how's it going long time no see..oh wait I've never seen you....oh well. Yes I'm just typing to amuse myself, probably.

No there is no problem with that at all, but good question! Some blue cheeses are aged on their edges. The only things to look for are, as you said, flat spots. As with the blue cheeses I just mentioned you can use a wood cradle to hold the cheeses and keep it from forming flat spots. With softer cheese such as blue and I believe you make stilton  ;) you definately want to use a half circle wood cradle.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice.
The cheeses that I am aging on edge are all waxed wheels. I don't know that I'll ever let my blues go longer than two months since it's hard to keep my hands off of them
About 10 years ago I tasted my first blue cheese and really thought I was going to puke. To say that I hated it is probably the understatment of the year.
Then about a year ago I decided to give it another try (with a Gorgonzola) and immediately I fell in love with blues.
I guess a person's tastes change over the years and now I can't think of a single blue that I have tasted that I didn't like.
If and when I move to the larger wheels of Stilton I'll certainly age it longer so your advice on the wood cradle will come in handy. And the good news is that I CAN make things out of wood!

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »
Dave that's nothing B.B. King let his blues go for 50 years... ;D

I was also thinking this when I start running out of space.