Author Topic: Calcium Chloride - General Questions  (Read 2561 times)

Gustav

Calcium Chloride - General Questions
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
This is something I always end up wondering about. Alot of recipies mention to ass some CaCl to the milk, but 99.99999% refers to the liquid fom. I have the solid/crystal form of CaCl & want to know the scale from Liquid to Solid.
If the recipe says to add eg. 4ml of liquid CaCl, how much solid CaCl do I use?

Another question is that I use whole milk for my cheese, is it ok to add CaCl to it although it is full cream and if so, how much do I add to say 10 litres of milk.
I know it is used if the milk is skimmed some, but since I have alot of it, I want to use it if I can.

Another question, what happens if there is too much CaCl added to milk when making cheese?

If one use whey as a brine to store feta in, how much CaCl should be added to prevent the whey fromm pulling some from the cheese &  making it squishy?

I will really appreciate it alot.

Saltysteele

Re: Calcium Chloride - General Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
bump

this is something i want to know, also

linuxboy

Re: Calcium Chloride - General Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
4ml of liquid CaCl, how much solid CaCl do I use?
Think through this problem. The normal rate of addition is .01% dry anhydrous (by weight), up to a legal limit of .02%. Liquid form typically is 30% cacl2. Meaning you can convert up and down to get to the anhydrous equivalent you need. Legally, it's irrelevant what concentration you use in the liquid, so long as you comply with the requirements to be below .02%. And for most cheeses, I would do .01%.

Another question is that I use whole milk for my cheese, is it ok to add CaCl to it although it is full cream and if so, how much do I add to say 10 litres of milk.
I would start with .005%-0.01%

Another question, what happens if there is too much CaCl added to milk when making cheese?
We had a thread on this. Texture will be off in hard cheeses. In bloomies and lactics, but will stabilize them due to the calcium.

If one use whey as a brine to store feta in, how much CaCl should be added to prevent the whey fromm pulling some from the cheese &  making it squishy?
None, it should work fine as is. If you want, add .01%.