Author Topic: Whey Based Brine For Aging Cheeses In - Boil Whey First?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Whey Based Brine For Aging Cheeses In - Boil Whey First?
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
In making feta cheese, I use the whey a day or two later when it is acidic enough.  After filtration, should I boil it so as to kill any unfriendlies, and by doing so extend its brine life?  I usually heat it so as to dissolve the salt, but only up to 160F.
Thanks

T-Bird

Re: Whey Based Brine For Aging Cheeses In - Boil Whey First?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
I noticed no one responded that should know. I am making my 1st feta, I decided to use whey instead of water for the brine, I am not boiling because I think the salt will inhibit most "nasties" and I hope I will avoid the "melting " phenomenon. T-Bird

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
I wouldn't boil it. If you boil, you will get ricotta, that means you will extract most of the calcium and albiminous proteins. Just add salt and adjust the pH.

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:22 AM »
I've got a batch now where I used the whey for the brine with no problem. Been about six weeks.
Dave in CT

Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »
I never boil the whey for the feta brine, just for the reasons mentioned above - not to make ricotta from it and the relatively high salt content will preserve the cheese.