Author Topic: Mozzarella, Direct Acid Method - Vinegar vs Citric Acid  (Read 11547 times)

Vaudevilleorange

Mozzarella, Direct Acid Method - Vinegar vs Citric Acid
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »
Can you use vinegar as a replacer to citric acid for the initial acidifying agent in mozzarella cheese making?

linuxboy

Re: Mozzarella, Direct Acid Method - Vinegar vs Citric Acid
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
Yes, but pH has to be lower. You need right around 5.6 for acetic acid direct vat acidified mozz. For citric acid, you can get away with 5.7-5.8. pKa values are different, that's why. IIRC, it's something like 110 ml of 5% vinegar per gallon  of milk.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:35:25 PM by linuxboy »

Vaudevilleorange

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
So...yes you can use vinegar, but it has to be 5% of the milk volume to get it to the right acidity? or yes, but your have to let it acidify more ie more time? ... what would you say is the most ideal PH to pull on a mozz?

Thanks for your info!

ps I am using raw goats milk too...does that plays into this at all, because it is not as acidic as cows?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
When using 5% acetic acid (aka household vinegar in the USA), you use about 110 ml to reduce the pH to ~5.6. Sorry wasn't clear. 110 ml of 5% vinegar per gallon of milk.

Acidify more isn't about time; I meant about acid. It's like I tried to say, 5.8 for citric and 5.6 for acetic before adding rennet. Meaning 5.6 is more acidity than 5.8. You have to acidify more with acetic because of the pKa differential to have the right texture.

there is no single "ideal" pH for a mozz. Depends on milk... it's a range. If your milk is crap and you direct acidify, typically, you have to do it between 5.6 and 5.8. But say you have sheep or buffalo milk. You can go lower, because the proteins buffer more. For goat milk, it's about the same as cow. Start out with those targets and adjust up or down if you don't like it. Keep in mind, cultured mozz is different.

why do you think goat's milk is not as acidic as cow milk? You mean in terms of pH or TA?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:35:43 PM by linuxboy »

Vaudevilleorange

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:20:28 AM »
Hmmm I don't think I understood what I read before...that goats milk is alkalizing, on the body...vs cows which is acidifying. I suppose that doesn't mean that goats is less acidic to start...it just has an alkalizing effect on the body?

Thank you so much for your knowledge! I much much appreciate it!

-Eliza

Vaudevilleorange

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
PS I direct acidified with your instructions and it turned out wonderful! Plus the ricotta I made after was amazing...thick and creamy. Thanks for the lesson Linux, you are a cheese master mind.