Author Topic: Mozzarella - Recipe & Yield Discussion  (Read 6300 times)

yeri

Mozzarella - Recipe & Yield Discussion
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
at last my i made my first cheese, and  it was a mozzarella, actually i dont know if i success or not, but i think i made it, i use this recipe :
Ingredients :
1 US gallon cow’s milk.
Thermophilic Starter Culture.
Rennet, amount as per package directions or your experience.
Litmus paper or digital pH.
Directions :
Heat the milk to 90 F / 32.5 C.
Add 2 oz. thermophilic culture.
Ripen the milk for 45-60 minutes.
Dissolve the 1/2 tab rennet into 4 tablespoons water and then stir into the milk for at least 5 minutes to ensure even distribution.
Let the milk set for 60 minutes.
Once the milk has set, cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.
Let it cook at 90 F / 32.5 C for another half hour.
Over the next half hour slowly raise the temperature of the curds to 105 F / 40.5 C.
Let it cook at 105 F / 40.5 C for another 5-10 minutes.
Drain the whey by pouring through a cheesecloth lined colander.
Place the curds into a double boiler with the bottom pot filled with water maintained at 105 F / 40.5 C.
You’ll need to periodically drain the whey while the curds are cooking.
Flip the curds periodically so they are evenly heated. They should mat together.
Let the curds cook at this temperature for 2-3 hours.
When the curds are done cooking test the pH, it should be 5.2-5.3.
If the pH isn’t 5.2-5.3, it won’t spin. Allow it to cook a little longer.
Cut the curd mass into 1/2 inch cubes.
Drain off any excess whey.
Place the curds directly into water that is 170 F / 76.5 C. Don’t overheat!!
Use two large wooden spoons and work the curds by pressing them together.
A ball of cheese will begin to form.
When the ball is the right size, take it out and work it with your hands, stretching the mass over itself.
Do this several times with each ball. If necessary the ball can be put back into the water to warm it up so that it can be stretched further.
Then immediately dunk the cheese into a cold saturated brine solution.
Let the cheese soak for 60 minutes.
The cheese can be eaten fresh, kept in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for about 10 days or frozen for several months. The cheese does taste better if it is allowed to rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours before eating.

. anyway i have some problem considering the result and here is my problem :

1. even if my mozzarella can become elastic, but it actually not so elastic, and i think it was to hard when its cold for my mozzarella. i think i know the problem i already remark the direction up there with the red colored text. is it this step make the mozzarella more hard?

2. my second problem is the the taste. i allready put the cheese to a brine solution for 60 minute, but the taste is not so salty. is do i need to put my cheese more longer at the brine solution?

3. my last problem is the aroma is not so strong, i use 1 sachet Direct Set of thermophilic(from ricky carol) on a 4 liters of milk and i let the milk for 60 minute. is the time and the thermophilic enough?

any suggestion and any comment guys? i have plan to make my second mozzarella cheese after i got more information to fix my problem.... :)

MrsKK

Re: Mozzarella - Recipe & Yield Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
I don't use this recipe and I don't use anything to measure the ph, so I can't answer those questions for you.  This is a thread on the method I use for making mozz.  The spin test, as I copied from David Fankhauser's website, is a really good, easy way of telling if your cheese is ready to stretch, particularly for those who don't want to use meters and paper.

I had trouble getting my mozz to be salty enough, too, and it always seemed to melt if I left it in the brine for any time at all.  Now, I use whey from making the cheese with salt added to it, for the stretching phase.  It makes a good, flavorful mozzarella.

I hope someone else can answer your other questions.  Hang in there - mozz is a tough cheese to make!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:33:39 AM by MrsKK »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
I am with Karen on this one I use a 2 day Bocconcini recipe exclusively unless I am stuck with no mozzarella and need it in a hurry.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
One problem with that recipe is that you don't want to stir rennet for 5 minutes! 1 minute is the maximum.

yeri

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »
@mtncheesemaker : well actually i also stir the rennet for only 1 minute, this one is a very tricky, but lucky for me i already read it before somewhere in this forum that it was to long to stir the rennet for 5 minute, what it really not understand is at the time i put the thermophilic direct set, i believe after i wait for 60 minute after i pout the thermophilic the milk will become more thicker than before, at my process the milk did become thicker but not so much thicker, well i think i will search at this forum how to know if the milk ready for the rennet. i hope i can find one..... ;)

yeri

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »
oooooppps i forgot to ask you guys another think, on my mozzarella yesterday, i use 4 liter of raw milk directly from the farm, and it only give about 0.5Kg of Mozzarella? is anyone know how much it usually give us for 4liter of milk? is it because of the milk quality?

i read somewhere in this forum the yield of mozzarella from a 1 liter of milk would around 300 grams. that would be more than 1KG from 4 liter of milk right.... perhaps anyone of you know why???

yeri

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »
anyone have any idea why my 4 liter of milk produce only half Kg of Mozzarella? :)

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
I'm not sure where you read 300 grams of mozzarella from 1 liter of milk.  That would equal 10 ounces, according to the conversion program I looked at.  I get about 10-14 oz of mozzarella from a gallon of skimmed raw milk.

From what you are saying, you got the equivalent of 17.6 ounces of mozzarella from 4.22 quarts of milk.  I'd say that's a really good yield!

nilo_669

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
Yeri  dont cook the curds for 2-3 hrs it will just be even worst, you only cook curds on hard cheeses to expel whey. so when you cook mozzarella curds ? i guess you know the answer.