Author Topic: Cow Share Program  (Read 10835 times)

wharris

Re: Cow Share Program
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »
Not sure why,  but the scene from Napoleon Dynamite comes to mind:

"The defect in that one is bleach."
"Yessssssss"
 :)

cozcoester

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »
Not sure why,  but the scene from Napoleon Dynamite comes to mind:

"The defect in that one is bleach."
"Yessssssss"

hahaha!

cozcoester

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:27 AM »
thats a very smart idea to check up on things.  I never would have occured to me personally.  I prefer my cheeses pesticide free.

homeacremom

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
Share programs are the loophole in the milk distribution regs. Sometimes it works and sometimes they catch your head and hang you.
I'd love to see more Grade B licensing. I've been checking into it in my state and it is still not clear to me if it is allowed to market to individual home cheesemakers or only to a cheese plant.
I agree that you need to check up on your milk source. it's called common sense. That round-up senario is outrageous, but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking the big guys do any better. I've been around commercial dairy farms all my life. Rare to find a conscientious farmer.  :-\

SpiritedRose

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
In Washington, the state has noticed that "loophole" and they note that cow shares are only legal IF you are also a grade A dairy, and therefore, the cow share idea is kind of a moot point.

I'd be wary about a chow share deal, wondering what I was really paying for the product...

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »
Spirited, I belive you meant to say, "it's a mooo point" not moot. Just trying to be helpful. ;D

Captain Caprine

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 08:56:47 PM »
Damn it Carter!
You beat me to it :D
CC

wharris

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
LOL,

I have given up on trying to acquire raw milk for now.   Right now, I don't have a recipe that I can execute well enough over time to justify the expense/risk associated with raw milk anyway.

Hell, I cannot even adhere to a scalding temperature protocol consistently yet.

So, in the mean time, I will spend my time, perfecting my craft with cheap, store bought milk.

Someday, when I have perfected my process to the point that only a new source of raw milk will make it better, I will again look for raw milk.

If I appear a bit down, I'm sorry.  Sometimes cheese making is a bit frustrating. 

(But I keep at it.)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:13:51 PM by Wayne Harris »