Author Topic: Cow Share Program  (Read 10834 times)

cozcoester

Cow Share Program
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »
Hi guys, the cheesemaking supply shop near me has started a cow share program where you buy into the cost of raising the cattle and are supplied with raw milk so often.  Anyone heard of such a program or found it to be worth buying into?  Currently I've been using milk bought from the grocery store.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Cow Share Program
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
Who takes care of the cow? Do you have to put in your own time taking care of it? How much does it cost? Sounds interesting. Personally after all the research I've done I find just looking around for the right store milk I can get a good curd. How much milk and how often?

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
That is a very interesting concept... it would certainly be worth hearing more about the details?

Erin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »
I've heard of this as a way to get unpasteurized milk. In most states in the US you can not legally buy unpasteurized, but you can own a share of a cow or goat and receive your share of the unpasteurized milk. Is that possibly what it's for?

beeman

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »
I've heard of this as a way to get unpasteurized milk. In most states in the US you can not legally buy unpasteurized, but you can own a share of a cow or goat and receive your share of the unpasteurized milk. Is that possibly what it's for?

Here in Ontario this is frowned on and anyone instigating this is prosecuted as they say 'to the full extent of the law'. A local farmer has been taken to court a number of times, fined, and has a legal bill of over $50,000.
You can see more in the battle for raw milk http://www.realmilk.com/why.html
Unsure what the outcome will be, but it sure has scared a few folks, which is the intent of course.
Can't let any one be seen who questions the system! Must protect big business???

cozcoester

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:05:16 AM »
I live in Grand Rapids Michigan.  Not sure of the legalities and such here, but I caught wind of this from my local homebrew supply shop.  They have advertised two different local farms that offer such programs.  I'm not entirely certain of the price but found a link to one of the farms that offers the "cow share program".

http://www.lubbersfarm.com/Cow_Share.html

Hopefully the link shows up alright.  I'll see if I can find out more details

cozcoester

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:10:24 AM »
Heres the other local farms link.  This one actually gives prices

http://www.migreenpastures.com/herdshare.html

Just curious if anyone has found such a program in there area worthwhile.  I've been getting milk from the grocery and have had good results thus far.

Erin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
I live in Grand Rapids Michigan.  Not sure of the legalities and such here, but I caught wind of this from my local homebrew supply shop.  They have advertised two different local farms that offer such programs.  I'm not entirely certain of the price but found a link to one of the farms that offers the "cow share program".

http://www.lubbersfarm.com/Cow_Share.html

Hopefully the link shows up alright.  I'll see if I can find out more details

The first two paragraph from the above link's webpage explains themselves pretty good...

"What is a cow share? Members purchase a portion of a cow (a one-time expense) and then pay the farmer an on-going boarding fee for the care and milking of their cow. Members pick up their share of the milk once a week.

Why a cow share? Michigan does not allow the direct sale of raw milk.  Ownership of a share of a cow allows access to local, fresh (unprocessed) milk.  It also provides the owners with first-hand knowledge of the farm caring for the herd.
"

I wish there was something in my area (New Orleans) like this and especially for goat's milk.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:26 AM »
I didn't notice how much milk that fee gets you a week?

cozcoester

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »
on average 3 gallons a week for the 10 month lactation period.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:13:06 AM »
That's cool, maybe you could get someone else's shares so you can get a lot at one time and then they get a lot at one time.

Tammy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
Here is a state by state break down of some farms who have cow shares in the United States:

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Here is a link to places you can buy raw milk in some other countries:

http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
Thanks that's helpful. Too bad the raw milk is so expensive.

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
As a cow owner, I can say that keeping a cow is anything BUT cheap.  Yes, raw milk is pricey, but it doesn't come from corporate herds, either.

Megan

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
I would just be sure to visit the farm, and see there set up, milking practices and such to make sure it's kosher.  Also, ask about feed and pesticide use, I knew a lady in Fl, who would spray the field with round-up then put her herd to pasture 1 hr later and turn around and sell that milk. bleck