Author Topic: Second go at Gouda  (Read 4609 times)

gemma.tyson

Second go at Gouda
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:00:34 AM »
Well I have taken on board the forum's recommendation of experimenting with one cheese until it works.
Made my second gouda today and things went much more according to plan.
Had invited a friend over who is also interested in trying to make some cheese.  I found I learned a lot explaining the process to her.
My recipe is one that belongs I think to Jeffham, put together from other cheese recipes on this forum with my own interpretations from other readings and articles posted by John. 
Thanks everyone.

10 litres standard home brand  (oops for some reason only used 8 litres

09.40   Warmed to 32C     added one sachet of mesophilic starter diluted in 30ml unchlorinated water.
          added ½ tsp Calcium Chloride (30% solution)
          stirred top to bottom 1 minute
Let stand 10 min maintaining temperature
Visitors arrived, so cultured a little longer
10.10    Temp maintained at 32.5 C  added 0.9 ml  Vegetarian Rennet (in water)
         Aimed for a  floc time of 15mins = 14.0 min use 3x, so cut in 42 mins. 
10.52   Centre still very soft, give another 5 mins.  Good clean break
10.57   cut curds into 1 cm cubes
10.02   Let stand for 10 minutes – temp 32.5 C .  Whey is clear, good seperation
10.15   Drained ~ 1.5 litres of Whey
10.30   Added 80 C water until temp ~33.6 C (Did not need a lot)
          let rest 10 minutes
 10.40   Drained to level of curds,
         added 55 C water to reach temp of 37 C
          gently stirred with hands to keep curds separate
   let rest 10 minutes
10.55   Drained more whey off, finished adding water, placed dinner plate on top of curds with 2 kg weight and rested for 30 minutes
 11.30   Drained the rest of the whey
          transferred curds to the mold and into the press
11.45   Started 10kg press  (20 min press)
12.15   Re-dressed the cheese, flipped it, and started 20 kg press (20 min press)
12.45   Flip and redress started 20 kg press for 8-10 hours.

Hope it turns out well.  The cheese appears to have a good consistency, no wrinkles and bumps around the edges this time.
Found putting the plate with weight on in the whey interesting (from John's posting of Gouda making in factory in Europe).  Almost like the layering done in Caerphilly when putting into cheesecloth and mold.  Drained really well.
Will take a photo when out of press.
Friend is now a convert as well.
Over all a much better day, and I'm sure a better cheese

JeffHamm

Re: Second go at Gouda
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
Hi gemma,

From the sounds of your notes, all seems to have gone really well.  You've put together a nice make procedure.  I've not got around to pressing under whey yet, just because I've been lazy about it, so well done.  I'm sure that will greatly improve the final knit.  Looking forward to photos.  Gouda really needs 4-6 months aging, so let this one wait around for Christmas and you'll be in for a happy holiday treat!  :)

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:18 AM »
Thanks Jeff.
Making them for my 3 children as Christmas presents, I hope.  Should be easy to leave them alone.  Will just be a matter of keeping mould at bay.  With the new cheese cave the mould does not appear to be as much of an issue.  Keep your fingers crossed for me?

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
Fingers crossed.  I picked up some cheep nail brushes to brush mold away, and then give a wipe with brine and vinegar.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
Good luck with your cheeses.  I use a new toothbrush, coarse salt, and vinegar, preferably raw apple cider vinegar, to clean mold off my cheeses.

I have found that I learn a lot through teaching others about cheesemaking, too.

susanky

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
Do you mix the salt and vinegar together first?  Or sprinkle the salt on cheese, dip the toothbrush in vinegar.....  Is cider vinegar better than white vinegar (I don't have access to raw).
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:17:29 AM »
Do you mix the salt and vinegar together first?  Or sprinkle the salt on cheese, dip the toothbrush in vinegar.....  Is cider vinegar better than white vinegar (I don't have access to raw).
Susan
In the past with a pretty bad mold problem, I dissolved salt into the vinegar and wash with that. It seemed to work pretty well. If I have to dislodge stuff from crevices, a clean toothpick dipped in the mixture works well. The bad guys don't like that very much.  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:25 AM »
Thanks Jeff, Boofer, Mrs KK and Susan.
Like the idea of a brush.  May stick to a toothbrush, a nailbrush I am sure will get stolen here.  Lol. 
Boofer the combination of salt dissolved in vinegar sounds good.  Have a few spots of a dark looking mold starting on my butter cheese, will try it on them first.  Just salt does not appear to keep it down.
Would it be worth doing a salt rub (diluted in water) daily? or would that make the cheese too salty? 
Jeff you commented on a salty rind didn't you from rubbing a cheese down?
Once again thanks for all the info.  Don't think I could achieve all of this without the constant and freely given guidance.

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Hi gemma,

I had a caerphilly that had a really salty rind, but then, I had salted the curds and then brined it as well.  It's ok for white molds to grow, and once they do, they protect the cheese (they prevent other things from growing).  The black spots are unsightly, but not dangerous.  I'm sure you'll win the battle.  Have fun!

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:11 AM »
I use coarse salt to "sand" the worst of the mold off, then use the toothbrush to brush as much of it off as possible.  then I dip the toothbrush in vinegar and use it to scrub the rind.  I finish up by wiping off any residue with a paper towel.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
Thank you both
Invaluable advise.  Have tried other forums for different things before, but this one is fantastic.  I feel that someone will always read and reply.

Once again Thank You everyone

gemma.tyson

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »
Here is my gouda.  Feel like a proud mum.
8 litres of milk made 1.1kg of cheese.  Pretty happy with that.

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 06:05:25 AM »
That's a very impressive looking cheese.  Nicely done on the knit.  That should be very tasty by Christmas.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
Yeahhhh!! Nice work.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

darius

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
I agree, it's "Bootiful"  :)