Author Topic: Recipes - Different For Same Cheeses?  (Read 2351 times)

Annie

Recipes - Different For Same Cheeses?
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
I have the Skoel book, which left out a Key Ingredient in one recipe, so I tend to look foor other recipes just to make sure I don't run into that problem again, and what I have found is a wide variation on instructions!

One is how long to wait for the curd to set--anywhere from 1/2 hour to 90 minutes. This is slightly confusing as they usually add "or when the curd has set" so it's ambiguous.

The second is wrt cooking the curds. Skokel has a lot of times when you have to raise the temp extremely slowly, like 2* every five minutes, while stirring!!!! so you end up over a hot stove for up to an hoir and a half.

Others just say to raise the temp, without being so particular.

Do these things make any difference? I'm going to do the 90-minute curd set for parmasan because I looked up why my cheeses were so dry and it was excess acidity from being allowed to set a long time (i'm easily distracted!) so I have been more careful, but the parm of course I want to be dry.

Thanks so much :D

Helen

Re: Recipes - Different For Same Cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
Hi Annie,

While I cannot speak of the temperature raising, I can say a word or two about the set time of your milk.

Most recipe books give you a time period to wait for your milk to solidify but the recipe does not account for your milk quality. I would recommend that you look up "floculation time" in the forum. This method will give you a good idea of when you can cut your curds.

- Helen

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
The second is wrt cooking the curds. Skokel has a lot of times when you have to raise the temp extremely slowly, like 2* every five minutes, while stirring!!!! so you end up over a hot stove for up to an hoir and a half.

There is a fine balance between temp (bacterial activity) and moisture release (which happends more rapidly in warm temp).

If you feel your losing too much moisture during cooking just cut larger.

Regarding 2 degres, are we talking C or F?  if it celsius then it makes sense.
Going from 30c to 38-40c in 30 minutes is reasonable.

Annie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
Hi Annie,

While I cannot speak of the temperature raising, I can say a word or two about the set time of your milk.

Most recipe books give you a time period to wait for your milk to solidify but the recipe does not account for your milk quality. I would recommend that you look up "floculation time" in the forum. This method will give you a good idea of when you can cut your curds.

- Helen
Ah, the set time varies with the quality of the milk? I do hope it's the faster the set time, the better the milk ;)

And folculation is the amount of time it takes to set, so if you keep an eye on it one time (or whenever you need to know, because I read about 3 or 4 x folculation on the mozz board) then you have an idea of how long it takes, and you don't have to wait? I was thinking that waiting before cutting might sometimes be better, as a couple of instructions have mentioned waiting til the curd pulls away from the wall of the container.

Thanks so much :)

Annie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »

There is a fine balance between temp (bacterial activity) and moisture release (which happends more rapidly in warm temp).

If you feel your losing too much moisture during cooking just cut larger.

Regarding 2 degres, are we talking C or F?  if it celsius then it makes sense.
Going from 30c to 38-40c in 30 minutes is reasonable.
Ahhh, the warmth and moisture thing is good to know :)

Yes, I'm talking about Fahrenheit, going from 90* to 124* by 2* every five minutes, which I figured would take close to 90 minutes; I think Celsius degrees are about 2.5 of F degrees.

Maybe the author get mixed up with C and F?

Anyway, wow, I can see why people call cheesemaking at art... all these variables!

Thanks very much!

Helen

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:23 AM »

Ah, the set time varies with the quality of the milk? I do hope it's the faster the set time, the better the milk ;)

Annie, quality may not have been the correct word. I think characteristic should be a more accurate description.

Using the flocculation time instead of a given time will allow you to have more consistent results in spite of farming practices, feeds and seasonality. I am sure more experienced cheesemakers have expanded on the advantages of floc time in prior posts.

- Helen

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
Just FYI, I've summarized some of the flocculation posts in the Wiki: Curds, When to Cut article.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
Annie I think it is time for you to get a pH meter.  ;) Especially, if you are dealing with raw milk.

And yes Flocculation technique is a must.

These two increased my consistency a lot.