Author Topic: Rennet Coagulation - Accidentally Left Vat On Hot Vibrating Freezer!  (Read 2160 times)

Annie

OK, I suspect that was possibly a dumb question, but maybe some poor soul will read this before they too pit their cheese on the freezer...

But also just to be sure: I added the rennet and put the cheese to rest on top of the big freezer. Then when the 90 minutes had passed, I suddenly had to do something else, so I was late, and everything seemed fine until I lifted up the bottom curds and they were kind of like not-quite-cooked scrambled eggs. Could that lack of good setting be caused by the vibration of the freezer going through its cycle?

And is there anything I can do now that I have panicked and added rennet and vinegar...? In retrospect, that seems like a very dumb move...

Anyway, thanks for any help, advice, or commiseration. I hope one day to be a good advisor to neophytes because I will have made so many dumb mistakes :lol:

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Rennet Coagulation - Accidentally Left Vat On Hot Vibrating Freezer!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:47:29 AM »
Rennet and vinegar?  :o
What were you making?

I know you're not the first cheese maker who has confessed to something like this on the forum. I can't seem to pull myself away or be too distracted when I'm in the middle of a make. It's too important to me, not to mention the cost of the ingredients and how much time I spend on a make. I typically idle the time (6-8 hours) with my laptop open, the TV on, or in conversation with my wife. I think I hover at times.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Annie

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Well... I was making parmasan, and when I saw what happened, I thought maybe I had messed up putting in the rennet, then that maybe it hadn't been acid enough since it was my first time with a thermophilic culture. Then just after I did that I realized that was how you made ricotta, and that I had probably totally messed up.

Which all turned to be ok as I had forgotten to put the lipase in anyway... Really not my day for making cheese.

And I must say that you are lucky to be able to hover inbetween surfing ;) I had to go feed cows :)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Annie - Why are you adding vinegar??? The bacteria will produce all the acid that you need.

Yes, vibrations can definitely effect curd set. After adding rennet, the pot should remain as still as possible.

Annie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Annie - Why are you adding vinegar??? The bacteria will produce all the acid that you need.

Yes, vibrations can definitely effect curd set. After adding rennet, the pot should remain as still as possible.
Yes, I have to admit that it was late and I kind of panicked...

Thanks for the info on the curd set--never again!!!!! (I feel reallly silly for having done that!)