Author Topic: First camembert, need your help please.  (Read 6505 times)

Fix

Re: First camembert, need your help please.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
My opinion that it's about milk quality. Strange but I bough one with good reputation.

dthelmers

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
When did you add your rennet, and how much, and how long did you stir? I don't see it in your procedure.
Dave in CT

Fix

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
Please see #5.
5. In ~90 mins. added 1/8 tsp. of liquid rennet (double force) in 20ml of water and added it to the milk.

dthelmers

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
OK, got my reading glasses on now. 2 minutes may be too long to stir after adding rennet. I stir in my rennet with 30 up and down strokes with my strainer, less than 1 minute, closer to a half minute. Too much agitation in stirring the rennet can make it form a weak gel, as I learned by experience. I've also found that I have to be much more gentle than I think when stirring. Too many years of metal work, I guess. Had to learn the touch for milk.
Dave in CT

Fix

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
I will try 30 sec. next time thanks. Tomorrow I will have one more try with raw milk from the market.

Fix

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
What is looks strange for me also, is that I see many times comment like: 3 drops of rennet for 1 gal.
My double str. rennet need to have 1/8 tsp. for 1 gal. and it's definitely not 3 drops. It's about 13 drops.
It's not to much? This one:

http://www.cheesemaking.com/OrganicVegetableRennet.html

Cheese Head

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
My opinion that it's about milk quality. Strange but I bough one with good reputation.
Mostly it's not, at least I've bought store bought milk from most large chain groery stores here in Houston and no problem, most of the time it is about rennet. Also, did you buy retail Organic Milk? Most is Ultra Pasteurized (which is much harder to rennet coagulate) for longer shelf life, even if it says Pasteurized. Search forum on work "Organic" and you'll get several stories.

On rennet dosage rate, many different types and strengths, also it ages depending on type, format, age and storage conditions, thus always start with manufacturers recommended dosage rate (in this case that supplier's repackaged rennet) and adjust up (normally) or down from there.

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »
Also, when a recipe says "gently stir the curd", usually what it means is "sort of move the curd a bit so it doesn't mat".  It doesn't usually mean stir it in circles; especially early on when the curd is still very soft.  However, from the sounds of it, I think your milk is probably high heat pasturized.

- Jeff

Fix

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
It say that milk is "ice filling". Like I undertsnad It's here that proteins are break down.

Fix

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
Thank you very much for your help. The problem was with the milk.  ;)

The one that I used passed ice filling (not sure it's called like this in Eng.) before going in bottles.
To have longer shelf life (10 days). I think this sort of milk is harder to rennet coagulate.

But this morning I've got a very cheap 3.2% milk packs that imported daily in our shop, because
of short shelf life (5 days). And already at 32°C I saw a little layer of cream on top of the milk.
After added rennet in 1 hour curd set was perfect! Woo-hooooooo! Now draining ... already
turned 3 times! Hehehe ....

Tea

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
Great to see that the promblem has been solved.  Was thinking that some cheese cloth between your cheese and mat, would help with draining and sticking.  Just a thought.

Fix

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Thank you for the info. Now it's in the cave, wating for mold!

Fix

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
I'm on day 11 now. Wrapped two from three and left one with out wrap. I want to
see what will be the difference on the day 21 with one that was wrapped and one open
air in the cave. And 3rd (wrapped also) will be opened on day 28.  ;) The only one thing,
I was tried to add Brie, that I made yesterday to the container with closed lib, but humidity
drop to 80% when I close lid, but when it's open it about 95% like in whole refrigerator.

This is the photo that was made on the day 5:

Fix

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
3 days before cuting my first 19 days camembert!
And next one will be at day 26 in one week!
So exited!  :D

iratherfly

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
How do they smell/feel? What did you wrap them with? They look great.