Author Topic: A different method to grow Penicilium Roqueforte than David Asher's suggestion  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Roof Possum

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text

I personally love David's book and am inspired by it.
However, his method for making your own P. roquefortii   requires first having......P. roquefortii !    8)

"  Put a pea-sized piece of blue cheese on a piece of bread".  etc....

But what if you have no access to blue cheese at all?  We don't, here in Nicaragua.  I haven't seen it anywhere.

Does anyone know of any other ways I could grow some ? Anyone tried this?

Please don't suggest laboratory sachets, I want to do it nature's way,  plus we can't rely on the post here.

Thanks...

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Let me put it this way:  I want to grow Sacuanjoche.  But Sacuanjoche trees don't grow in my country.  How can I make Sacuanjoche seeds?  Don't ask me to buy seeds from a seed company because I want to grow it the natural way!

I hope you can see the problem.  Penicillium Roqueforti is a mold.  Molds are a type of fungus.  They are living things.  If there is no penicillium roqueforti where you live, then there is no way for you to make it.  Molds produce "spores".  Spores are like seeds.  If you grow the mold, eventually it will produce spores.  You can collect those spores and put them in an envelope.  They will last for a long time.

I will tell you how factories "make" penicillium roqueforti.  They get some penicillium roqueforti mold (originally, probably on cheese).  They put some on a piece of rye bread.  They grow the mold on the rye bread.  The mold produces spores.  They dry out mold and put it in an envelope.  Then they sell the envelope to you.

Does it sound familiar?

There are many, many, many problems with David Asher's book.  His suggestion that factories are doing something unnatural is one of the many, many, many problems.  I don't know what he thinks is going on there, but either he is mistaken or....  well... I hope he is just mistaken.  Penicillium roqueforti is interesting because they *have* to "make" it that way if they want to sell it to Roquefort cheese producers -- it's in the PDO standard.  That's one of the reasons (I think) that it's much more expensive than other molds.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, my local wild blue is amazing.  Maybe yours is too.  Give it a try.  If it isn't, though, there isn't anything you can do.  You can't make Sacuanjoche unless you have Sacuanjoche trees.