Author Topic: Easy To Make Hard Cheeses?  (Read 7397 times)

zCaptain

Easy To Make Hard Cheeses?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
Looking for some easy to make hard cheeses. I'm interested in making Parmesan, but I was wondering if there were any other cheeses out there that are easier to make?

Thanks.

Helen

Re: Easy To Make Hard Cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »
I like Tomme. It is easy to make and you can taste it in two months. It is also very versatile depending on how you decide to treat the rind.

- Helen

zCaptain

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:07:58 AM »
You know what? I don't think I've ever had that before. What's it go for by the pound?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:16:29 AM »
zCaptain, here's some Tomme 2 years ago for Euro 10.8 a kg in French market.

There's some info here for new cheese makers.

margaretsmall

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
That's very funny - how about 'hard to make easy cheeses'? ;) (Sorry couldn't resist. After 9 weeks on the road in a caravan I'm suffering from withdrawal pains, having not made any cheese for that long).Can't wait to get home and back to it.
Margaret

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
Hey i am giving you the latest recipe of making hard cheese just click on this links hope you will get it what you want:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1976-05-01/How-To-Make-Hard-Cheese.aspx
"Latest recipe"? Maybe not.

You do realize that there have been a few improvements in techniques, cultures, equipment, etc. over the past 35 years (since 1976 when the article was published), right? There are several troubling points in the process described in the article.

A better recommendation would be to buy one of the cheesemaking books published in the last decade and to search the library on this forum.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
zCaptain, here's some Tomme 2 years ago for Euro 10.8 a kg in French market.

There's some info here for new cheese makers.

Im paying (or used to pay) up to 4 euro\100 grams!

Offline Gnatale88

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 01:19:03 AM »
Looking for some easy to make hard cheeses. I'm interested in making Parmesan, but I was wondering if there were any other cheeses out there that are easier to make?

Same here. I'm new here. I'm looking to make my first Fontina. Anyone have tips or a good recipe. Looking for a young creamy Fontina. Not too sharp for my husband.

Thanks.