Author Topic: Rennet - Dosage Rate?  (Read 3305 times)

zCaptain

Rennet - Dosage Rate?
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
I've gone to the recipe section of this forum looking for Parmesan and I found it. What I don't like is that it doesn't say how much rennet to put in the recipe. I read that one gallon of skim milk will make roughly one pound of Parmesan. What I don't know is how much rennet to put in.

If anyone could help with that I'd appreciate it.

Also if you know a good place to shop for cheese making kitchen utensils that would be awesome! I need a cheese press, some pots, thermometers, etc.

Thanks

MrsKK

Re: Rennet - Dosage Rate?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »
The reason that recipes don't indicate the amount of rennet is because it is variable according to the rennet that you purchase.  For instance, the powdered calf rennet that I use has amounts on the packet:  "1/16 tsp for 1-3 gallons, 1/8 tsp for 4-6 gallons".

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23:26 AM »
zCatptain, to add tio MrsKK, there's some info here on different types and strengths of rennet.

On equipment, sounds like you want hobby sized, for that you can often use standard kitchen equipment until you get the basics down and decide what types of cheeses you want to make and if in larger batches. For a press, see the Forming Equipment Board for some ideas, the press's power depends on what size you are pressing and what type of cheese.

zCaptain

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »
Thanks