Author Topic: Morbier  (Read 7950 times)

Helen

Re: Morbier
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »
Oh! So sorry to hear about what happened to your beautiful cheese. Such a big crack. I am wondering what may have caused such a thing.

Tea

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
I really don't know.  I keep thinking a gas build up, up I didn't see any evidence of a gas build up so I don't know.  Just hope that there is nothing really wrong going on in there that we can't see.

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
Hi,

Hmmm, I don't think it could be gass build up.  All the swiss cheeses, where gass is intended, when they split due to gass it's because they've blown up like a football first.  Your's hasn't swelled up at all by the looks of it.  Rather, it sounds like taking them out of the humidity box might have allowed them to dry out too quickly.  Can you see any evidence of eye formation inside the large crack?  Again, if it were gass you should see eyes - or at least one big cyclops looking back at you.

- Jeff

Tea

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
Well I just check to see what has happened over night, and I am not sure if it shows up in the pics, but the crack looks to be almost half of what it was.  So I have washed again, retightened the binding, and left in the himidity container.
So fingers crossed that if was just s case of taking it out of the humid environment too early.  Anxious to see what happens over the next few days.

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
That looks like it's working really well.  Dr Tea to the rescue! :)  By the looks of it things should be healed up by tomorrow or the next day.  Nice save.  A cheese for that.

- Jeff

Tea

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
Ok day 3, re wrapped and tightened again.  Washing about twice a day, to keep moist.  I can't believe that it is coming together so fast.  I thought this would take weeks. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
Excellent!  That looks really successful.  well done.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 05:11:30 AM »
Ok day 3, re wrapped and tightened again.  Washing about twice a day, to keep moist.  I can't believe that it is coming together so fast.  I thought this would take weeks.
Good on you, Tea.

Instructional too for anyone else with this malady.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tea

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »
Well I still find it hard to believe, but the cheese has come together.  Now I am hoping that the rind will completely heal, althought I am not sure that is possible.

So I have reduced washing to every second day, and I am letting the cheese breath for an hour or so everyday, before putting it back into the himidity box.  I think I will leave the wrap on for another week before removing and see what happens.

At some stage it should also come out of the humidity box too.

Sorry I can't post any pics as my DH is away, and he took the camera with him.  So will update when he comes home.

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
That's great news!  I would think it will all be fine after it's been held in place for awhile.  Well done.

- Jeff

TAMARA

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »
So nice to see a thread on morbier... I posted one a couple of weeks ago and got NOT ONE REPLY  :-[ so was feeling pretty unloved.

The morbier that I made about 2 months ago looked good (though too thin - more curds next time!) and after 60 days, I couldn't wait anymore and tried it. The ash line looks good and the flavour is there but the cheese is quite dry and firm... certainly not the wonderful creamy cheese that I saw in the photo with the crack on this thread.

Did I cut my curds too small to get them this dry... how can I make the cheese more 'fatty' and luscious next time?

Also, why did your cheese grow white mould... I don't think there is any in the recipe and I've never seen a morbier with it. Mine grew a nice hard rind with weekly washing with B.linens but I never had any mould and was suprised to see yours...looked like a massive brie!

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you have.

Regards, TAMARA

Tea

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
Morning Tamara, there are a number of factors that could give you a drier curd than you want.  Milk quality/richness, cut curd size, amount of stiring and incorrect heat.  Not knowing what recipe you used of method it is a bit hard to be able to help any further. 

As I said in one of my original posts in the thread, I gave my apologies to the purest of this cheese, and from there on called is my faux morbier.   I don't like the linens flavour, so I am playing.  Not sure what I am going to get in the end, but I wanted to try this cheese, so decided that I would do a white rind then a whisky wash.  So fingers crossed that I end up with something edible.

HTH's

TAMARA

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I used the recipe that I found on this site when I searched 'morbier'. I do think I perhaps I cut the curd too small and stirred too much. I Have made another batch and will see how that goes.

I note on the recipe that it is suppose to 'age' for 60 days. I have it at 12c (wine fridge with water bowl in bottom) but I am starting to wonder if this environment is just too dry. HOw can I check the level of humidity to see whether it is moist enough or not?

For the record, I also don't like the b.linens but have only been washing once a week in the hope that will reduce the strength. I never thought to use white mould... that's an interesting idea.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

TAMARA

dttorun

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »
Hi Tamara,
You can check ebay for hygrometer. I got mine from China for $0.99+shipping. Or get it from Home Depot (assuming you are in NA). I have both and they are working fine.
Tan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
Great job Tea as always. I have been know to lightly carve a crack so it has moist cheese to aheare too and tape it together in a similar manner. Keeping the crack moist until it glues back together is critical!