Author Topic: Morbier  (Read 7957 times)

Tea

Re: Morbier
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »
Ok update on this cheese.  I needed my humidity box for my white blues, so I took the cheese out, and left the bandage on.  The crack did heal completely and was going well.  I decided on Friday that I would take off the wrap to wash, and see what happened.  I also decided to wash every day, so try and keep moist.  The crack did open up a little, and another couple of hair line cracks also appeared.  But only around the edge, like the original one.  There is absolutely no cracks on the top or bottom.  So I am thinking that I will re-wrap and just leave in place until it has finished aging, and reduce the washings again.

Question: as this is usually a linens wash, for how long should I wash for? 

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »
Some recipes I found says every second day till you see the red jacket developing.

Tea

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »
Ok final update on the morbier.  Because I used an 18% salt solution to wash the cheese with, I think is dried out the cheese more than I expected, as one of the original pics showed a much more gooey interior.  Still for all it went through I am happy.  The flavour is quite sharp, and I thought it would be nice in a toasted sandwich.

So next time, I need to perfect the ash layer a little better.  I think I will keep this one in a humid environment too rather than transfering straight into the cave, and any wash will be at a much lower % rate.   I learnt a lot with this one, so for that alone, it was worth the effort.

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
I'm very impressed with the end result though, given the difficulties this poor cheese went through.  A cheese to you for your perserverance and successful outcome.  Looking forward to you next make of this.  Well done.

- Jeff

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
Well done Tea, it is looking nice.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
I like the really rustic rind. Nice first Morbier effort.

Was there a reason you washed with 18% brine? It looks like the high-salinity wash and low humidity affinage combined to draw moisture out of the cheese. I wonder how it would fare with a little extended affinage.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tea

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
You know, I have no idea why I did an 18% wash.  I thought I had read that somewhere, and it was only much later that I realised that a wash is usually around 3%, but by then it was too late.  So I was thinking the same.  Lower brine %, and kept in a humidity box, I should get a different cheese.  This cheese is over 60 days old, so what would you advise to age it to?

I am beginning to think that my fridge/cave runs with a low humidity too, and am wondering whether I should keep a container of water in there at all time, as my brie was very dried out also.

Jeff thanks for the cheese, although I don't know that I deserve it.  I seems if I did one thing wrong, I did everything wrong.  Now to try again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:29:00 PM by Tea »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
As far as extended affinage, Wikipedia shows 45 to 90 days. It might just be one of those that you chalk up to part of your cheese education. I have had a few of those.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.