Author Topic: Venezuelan Guayanés & Queso de Mano Cheese Making Recipes  (Read 10038 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Venezuelan Guayanés & Queso de Mano Cheese Making Recipes
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:33 AM »
Added two Venezuelan cheese making recipes to the website's Cheese Making Recipes Area:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:28:28 AM by Webmaster »

giacommo

Re: Venezuelan Guayanés & Queso de Mano Cheese Making Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
I tried to make the Queso Guayanés cheese.

I let the milk worm to room temperature (22 C degrees, I guess). Added the suitable amount of  rennet. Its about 6 hours since I added the rennet and there are only small evidences of curd. Shall I wait longer or try to heat the milk to 32 C?

Cheese Head

Re: Venezuelan Guayanés & Queso de Mano Cheese Making Recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »
giacommo

I have not made this cheese, I built the recipe based on a book I had for a Venezuelan friend I had who moved to Calgary, Canada and missed his homeland's cheese.

I just checked the written recipe I have and it does say: "No starters are used and the milk is coagulated with calf rennet at room temperature". But it also says it is "made from raw whole of partly skimmed cow's milk".

Hindsite is wonderful and I am sorry for this but room temperature in Venezuela is probably ~32 C / 90 F, so yes warming the milk to try and form a curd is probably a good idea.

Also, on milk type, did you use raw or pasteurized milk and if used pasteurized did you use CaCl2 to help get a better curd set?

Also on rennet, silly question as you make many wonderful cheeses, but just to check, is it one that you regularly use and did you dilute and stir it in well?

Lastly, I have no idea what this cheese looks like or texture; sorry that this has caused you problems. I'm interested if raising the temperature enables you a good curd.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:28:10 PM by John (CH) »