Author Topic: First Cheddar  (Read 1587 times)

Sue~

First Cheddar
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
My first hard cheese, I can't believe it's actually tasty! I had numerous problems, aged in a fridge for three months and had mold under the wax (I didn't realize how hard it is to balance 50 lbs on a little block of cheese!  That's why it's not very square).  I ended up with about 17 ounces of cheese.  I will probably re-wax a bit of it and let it age some more.

Thanks for all the info here, it really helped.   The last picture show a bit of the mold that was under the wax.  The cheese turned out sort of 'crumbly' if that makes sense.  Not sure what the texture should be

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: First Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Hi Sue,

Why it is so white? Is that your camera?

Looks like you skipped the cheddaring step a bit fast.

To prevent mold growing under the wax, I wipe the cheese first with vinegar; let dry and dip into hot wax.

Sue~

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
I made a ton of mistakes, including things like the temperature was too warm and I think the rennet was old.  I have no idea what color it's supposed to be though.

I'm just happy it tasted like cheese! LOL

smoky mountain girl

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
Did you use goat milk?  Cows milk has beta carotene, which gives the yellow color and goat's milk does not therefore it makes a white cheese. At least that is what I recently read.

Sue~

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
I used cow's milk.  I plan on making another cheddar this weekend.  Hopefully it'll go better this time, I learned a ton and glad I took notes the first time around.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Unless I added annato, my cheddar turned out fairly white, too, especially when using anything other than summer milk.

It looks like you're getting there.  I personally never consistently made good cheddar, so kudos on sticking with it.