Author Topic: Paella a la Steff  (Read 1793 times)

kookookachoo

Paella a la Steff
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »
So, I pretty much love to cook, too, apart from making cheese.  My mom's family is Spanish & they love spicy-hot food.  I like it, but mostly mild to medium, as I don't seem to have inherited my family's tolerance. 

Anyway, I try to introduce different foods for the kids, we don't really eat typical "American" fare here, mostly Mediterranean with Asian & Italian thrown in for variety.  One of my favorite food is paella..it always brings back childhood memories of helping my grandma prepare it.  However, it is time consuming & can get a bit expensive, especially if you put a lot of different meats & seafood in it.  Typically, my grandma wouldn't surf & turf meat, she would either make one kind of paella or the other, but I like with all my favorite meat & seafood, hence the Steff paella. 

I didn't have any Spanish chorizo handy, so I used andouille sausage, chicken, mussels, clam (out of the shell), shrimp (peeled & deveined), as well as the usual vegies (peppers-3 different colors/kind), rice, onions, garlic, celery (you don't usually put this but since I don't like peas-while some people add them), tomatoes & lemon (mostly to put on top for the last 10 mins of cooking time).  And of course, saffron!  I only make paella a couple of times a year but it's always a treat for my family, as well as the friends that just happen to "drop by".   ;D 

Anyway, just thought I'd share... 

scubagirlwonder

Re: Paella a la Steff
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:07:36 AM »
Looks delicious! I love paella, and also make it occasionally for my family...I was actually just looking online for a Spanish recipe, you might be able to help with my search! When I was in my teens I spent some time in Spain and my host mom made this delicious lentil soup, any chance you might have a good lentil soup recipe? I don't remember it having any chunks of veggies in it but the "soup" part of it was so rich, thick and flavorful I am sure it was made with all sorts of goodies...it was slightly smoky so I am sure it has chorizo or maybe jamon serrano.....

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:47:35 AM »
KooKoo- I love Paella. When I was in Spain I ordered it at every opportunity. It never failed to please.

kookookachoo

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
Looks delicious! I love paella, and also make it occasionally for my family...I was actually just looking online for a Spanish recipe, you might be able to help with my search! When I was in my teens I spent some time in Spain and my host mom made this delicious lentil soup, any chance you might have a good lentil soup recipe? I don't remember it having any chunks of veggies in it but the "soup" part of it was so rich, thick and flavorful I am sure it was made with all sorts of goodies...it was slightly smoky so I am sure it has chorizo or maybe jamon serrano.....

I love that!  My grandma made a lot of bean soups when I was younger.  Her habichuelas is kind of a family tradition.  I make a version of hers but I add some that she doesn't.  I've only made lentil soup a couple of times, it's actually a good make-ahead-then-freeze-in-several-containers kind of soup.  It's called sopa lentejas or lentejas de sopa...I'm the worst Spanish-speaker in my family, they're forever lamenting.   :D 

I have an old handwritten recipe noteboook of stuff my grandma cooks/cooked.  I'm sure you could probably find the same recipe/ingredients if you go to Valencia, Aragon, etc.  Half my family are Basque, the others Zaragozanos.  We have cousins & family scattered all over, but, mostly in Valencia now.  I checked to see if there are any cheese recipes..and sadly, there aren't.  I asked my grandma & she said they always had a couple of good farms to deliver milk & cheese when she was little. 

Ok, here's her version of the recipe.

Sopa de lentejas (she said you could actually substitute other beans or legumes for this, but lentils is healthy & makes it more thick & hearty)

3/4-1 lb lentils (or whatever the equivalent in ounce-bags)
Spanish chorizo (preferable, she said some people use pancetta, andouille, etc-I think it's
                            a matter of preference)
1/2-1 whole red onion (it's better flavored than white/yellow) *I only added 1/2 of a large onion & it was already 1/2 a cup..so plenty!!
garlic cloves (I get the chopped garlic in a jar, so I use 2 heaping tsps-we love garlic!)
3 whole bay leaves
chopped potatoes (bite-sized, your choice, I used Yukon gold), about 6 (since they're small)
3 celery stalks, chopped according to your size preference
1 large tomato chopped, or can of chopped, fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 tbsp tomato paste (this is optional, for me)
3 chopped carrots (size is up to you)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
your favorite cooking red wine
red pepper flakes *entirely optional, if you're making for kids, may want to omit!*
tsp lime juice
chopped pepper (I use 1/2 each of red, green & yellow/orange bells)
1 can chicken broth (plus enough water to cover the whole thing)
olive oil
salt & pepper

Directions:

Ok, I have to note that...I cook everything in a crock pot overnight, so I don't soak the lentils at all.  I put them all in the crock pot like at 11pm on low.  Now, what I do before all that is, with a little EVOO, I cook the chorizo (sometimes I also cook this with about 3 cubed boneless pork ribs-my hubby likes a LOT of hearty meat in his soups) until it's a bit golden colored, then saute the garlic, onions, tomatoes, salt & pepper (according to your taste), paprika, pepper flakes (if using) & cumin for about 2-3 mins with it, add tomato paste & a splash or two of wine, simmer for a few minutes to incorporate the chorizo/meat, juices, spices & paste together, add it to the crock pot.  At this time, you would have already had the lentils in the pot (cleaned & washed, not necessary to soak them if doing this way).  Add all ingredients in crock pot, mix well together, add the can of chicken broth, add enough water to barely cover the lentils, for a THICK more-stew...for more soup'y, add more water, according to your preference.  Give it a couple of stirs, whenever you get up in the middle of the night, or early morning.  Soup should be ready in time for lunch! 

Now, for the quick-cook method.  Soak the lentils in boiling water (that is, boil water first, then add to already-washed lentils in a bowl), let sit for an hour.  Cook the lentils, potatoes & carrots in a pot for about 45 mins (or until the potatoes & carrots are cooked medium), they will be softer but still on the not-done side, drain & set aside.  It's ok, they will be cooking some more.  In another pan, cook the chorizo *and other meat, if you're using* in EVOO, for 3 mins, set to the side of the pan, saute the onions, garlic, tomatoes & spices until onion is clear, stir the chorizo together with the spices.  Add a splash of wine, simmer until most of the liquid is cooked off, then add the tomato paste & broth.  Then add the lentils & stir gently together.  Add water according to how thick you want it.  Simmer for 25 minutes on lowest setting, covered. 

Enjoy with bread, grated cheese & parsley flakes. 

**Now, I prefer cooking the lazy way, that is to say, the crock pot way.  My grandma, who's a purist, cooks it the old-fashioned way.  I have notes all over my notebook pages from her telling me "don't forget, write down...".  Needless to say, hanging out in her kitchen was a favorite thing to do when I was little.  And she did use jamon serrano & also smoked paprika.  I've managed to get a tin of smoked paprika, but can't find the jamon readily available here.  I sometimes throw in a slab of smoked bacon, I get the butcher to cut me up about 1/4 of a lb..it does get a tad greasy, though, so my hubby opts for me not to put it in. 

I hope this is what you're looking for..and let me know if you've made it & what you think of it, too!

PS.  My eyes are crossing now..I've been typing, walking away to check on dinner..so I'll probably read this again later to make sure I didn't dork up the recipe/instructions.

Keith, it's probably one of my favorite Spanish dishes, too!  Different regions have their own versions of it & it's a lot of fun to try them all! :D

dttorun

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
What a coincidence. I was watching Foodtv the other day and in one of the shows called "From Spain With Love" they were making paella with rabbit and chicken. I was thinking to cook the same. Here is the link to the recipe.
Tan

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/recipe.html?dishid=11873
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:43:19 PM by dttorun »

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
Very nice KooKoo. That is one of my very favorite food. I had the opportunity a number of years ago to spend three weeks traveling around Spain and never passed up the chance to try another version. By the way, who got the socarrat?