Author Topic: Adding Herbs to Feta  (Read 2049 times)

artguy

Adding Herbs to Feta
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
I have been making feta for a couple of weeks now and have had some great success with this entry level cheese.  I have 2 questions

#1  What is the process for adding in some sun dried tomatoes and herbs amongst the curds?

#2  When I brine the cheese comes out all slimy and takes for ever to dry out.  Is this normal?

Thanks!

JennyJad

Re: Adding Herbs to Feta
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »
I've never added sun-dried tomatoes, but my two most popular herb-flavored fetas are Garlic & Dill and Herbs de Provence... everyone loves them, especially me, ha!

As for slimy feta brine, are you using a water-based brine?  If so, add some calcium chloride to the water, otherwise the calcium leaks out of the feta and causes sliminess, if not completely dissolved.  Not sure what the answer is if you're using a whey-based brine.  : ???

Soni

Re: Adding Herbs to Feta
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Try pressing the cheese before you brine it and/or cutting it in cubes and salting them all around every day for three days before you immerse them in the brine.
Also, I do not know this for sure, but I imagine that if proper sanitary conditions are not met, the brine itself can become slimy with bacteria growth.

I also found this searching the : http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12226.msg94334.html#msg94334