Author Topic: Culture Question for Parm  (Read 1239 times)

Trey Magnus

Culture Question for Parm
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
I am preparing to make my first Parm.  I have read may threads and done a search but found no results so here is the question.

The threads (recipes) that seemed most appealing to me listed using TA061 & LH100 for cultures but I see various ratios suggested.

In looking at the information on the Danlac site, they suggest their product Alp LYO for Parma style cheeses.
http://www.danlac.com/ingredient/choozit%E2%84%A2-alp-lyo-100-dcu

Does anyone have any experience with this Alp LYO culture?

Pros? Cons? other thoughts on using something like this vs the mixture of TA061 & LH100?

Thanks in Advance

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Culture Question for Parm
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
I use a 20/80 blend of TA61 & LH100, which are both Thermophilic blends.

The Alp LYO also includes Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis and Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris which are both Mesophiles. This combination is like an MA11 and is going to give you much earlier acid production during ripening and curd formation up until the cheese is heated to Thermo temperatures.

I consider the Alp LYO a basic meso blend with thermo adjuncts which will provide greater proteolysis and enhance flavor in meso based hard cheeses like cheddar. As such, it would not be my first choice for Parms or other Italian types.

Trey Magnus

Re: Culture Question for Parm
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
Good enough for me.  I will go forward with the 20/80 blend of TA061 & LH100 and in only one short year LOL, we will see how it turns out.  ;D

Thanks for your response.