Author Topic: First Stiltonesque  (Read 8242 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: First Stiltonesque
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
Lookin good bb
How long are you going to age it? :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

bbracken677

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
60-90 days....whenever it seems right/ripe will be choppin' time!   O0

I have 3 blue projects going on...this one should be the last to ripen, and looks the best, so far. Even though I did press it ....meant to lightly press it for a few hours and then it got lost in turkey day activities. Remembered it about 36 hours later...so this should be an interesting experiment. A blue cheddar.....

shotski

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »
The recipe I used does not call for a rind wash. I would think that if you have already salted it to somewhere close to 2 or 2.5% by weight, that should be sufficient. If you do the wash...use a 3% salt solution at most, and stop as soon as you notice the slightest amount of fuzz growing.

At least, that's my take....I have very little experience with blues in general and Stilton in particular.

Thanks for the feed back. I did start a rind wash today because I used Geo and I read that the salt bath would slow down the Geo growth. As you can see the wheel on the right has less PF is spotty  and had a little whit mold (I am thinking that is the Geo)and a little slimy so I started the salt wash on the rind.