Author Topic: Hi from South Australia  (Read 3510 times)

rockie900

Hi from South Australia
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »
Greetings
My Name is Alistair (Al) from South Australia as the title suggests. I have been looking around this site for a while and made a post the other day so I thought I should introduce myself. I have been making cheese for about 12 months now started off pretty slow made a few cheddars and then stopped thinking that it was not worth the effort, until the cheddar was aged and tasted, after that I am back making cheese a couple of times a month. I also make my own sausages and am slowly getting around to making a hot and cold smoker for meat and cheese. Right now I cold smoke cheese in a cardboard box. I really enjoy the satisfaction of saying "I made this".
That's about all from me this time,I will post up some cheeses that I have made later on.

Al

Cheese Head

Re: Hi from South Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »
Hello Al and welcome to the forum!

My family and I have been to Perth/Albany & Brisbane/Gold Coast Australia on holiday when we used to live in Brunei, but excuse my ignorance, I had to check and South Australia is a State in Australia and I think you are the first so I just added South Oz to our list of Member Locations :).

Congrats on cheddars, I agree, hobby cheese making is not about being productive, as way easier to just buy store bought cheese, but it is about being fun and interesting.

PS: Just sent you a PM, see My Messages in menu at top left.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »
Hi Al and welcome to the forum.  Glad you have found us.  I am one of the Aussie's from Qld.
Glad to hear that you have been having success with your cheeses, looking forward to seeing them.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »
South Aussie are you far from Penfolds? I might just go open one right now.

rockie900

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:01:12 AM »
South Aussie are you far from Penfolds? I might just go open one right now.
Penfolds is a few hours away, but Coonawarra is about 30 mins away im sure you have heard of that.

I have just finished a few cheeses a gouda with cumin and smoked in hickory, a fetta and a white wensleydale. I decided to wax the wenslydale just for something different. I will post up some more with some photos when I make another batch of something next will be a red leicester and a cheshire.
My milk is all from the store, I have a good relationship with a couple of the milkies in the area and I get milk within a few days of going out of date for free, all in exchange for some cheese good deal i reckon.

Al

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »
That's a pretty good deal, free milk. Yes I know Coonawarra. How did you do your smoking. THere are a few people on here who are doing the like and I'm sure we all want to know your procedure and equipment. Please post pics if you can.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:08:40 AM »
welcome to the board.  I too am interested in cold smoking cheese and have just done my first batch.  See my post on the equipment page.  I would be interested in your experience for how long to smoke things.  I smoked Mozzerella, and Camambert (before mold growth) as first try and seems to have gone well (2.5 hours in hickory smoke). Smoke some tofu for about an hour as well and that was great.

Looking forward to hearing of your experinces.

Gerrit

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
I was already asking for you Gerrit. ;D I don't plan on smoking as I have enough varieties to make already.

rockie900

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
OK firstly I must admitthat my smoking set up is very elaborate, designing took many minutes and construction took at least 3 minutes.
Photo 1 Cut out at bottom for smoke maker, door at top for cheese on a cake cooler rack.
Photo 2 Smoke generator comsists of tea light and crushed up pellets on foil.
Photo 3 Ready to light.

So Far smoked for only about 30 mins each time, but I am yet to try the cheese, will keep you updated.

Sorry about the photos its midnight now.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »
Hey whatever works. It's simple but if it works and it took no time to build then you're good to go. I always go for simplicity.

How much smoke did you get out of it?

rockie900

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:08:46 AM »
Hey whatever works. It's simple but if it works and it took no time to build then you're good to go. I always go for simplicity.

How much smoke did you get out of it?

its not thick smoke, i try to keep it all in the box  let it swirl around a bit. Next time I use it I will take a few working photos

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:32:27 AM »
Cool, thanks.