Author Topic: Raw milk & making ice cream  (Read 8682 times)

CdnMorganGal

Raw milk & making ice cream
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
Not sure if this is the right board or not ... Can raw milk be used for making homemade icecream?  or should it be pasteurized?

Thx

mtncheesemaker

Re: Raw milk & making ice cream
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
I think that is a personal preference. I use raw milk.
Pam

OudeKaas

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
Oooh, I love this board. I WAS JUST THINKING OF THIS.

Bought a Whynter Sno icecream maker recently, and have been really enjoying its products, especially in the 100 degree-plus NYC summer swelter we've been having!

So far, we've made a (custard-based) Madagascar vanilla and a dark (88%) chocolate, plus an Italian 'Pan Forte' recipe with homemade candied orange peel and roasted almonds. Also a 'Vietnamese Coffee' espresso and condensed milk (no egg) version. All from the 'Perfect Scoop' book. I tell ya, I like the eggy versions much better, but I am a custard fan from way back.

So, of course, thoughts of hobby overlap ensued immediately, including the raw milk question. I also had a fabulous mascarpone gelato recently and see goat cheese and cajeta-based ice cream recipes - whoo, the possiblities "make-a de ganglia twitch!"

Looking forward to more on this topic, yes.

ilvalleygal

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
I do, but my daughter is very squeamish about the very idea of raw milk. When they're coming I do French vanilla since the custard is cooked. It's not the same as pasteurization, but she's fine with the idea that it's been cooked at least.

coffee joe

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
Making Ice Cream with raw milk is the same as drinking raw milk. If you know your source and are comfortable with the hygiene of the cows and the milker you should be just fine.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »
Exactly as Coffee Joe says.  I love raw milk ice cream...my daughter is a bit turned off by the richness of the butterfat, though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »
I tend to skim some of the cream from raw milk for icecream - I thong the flavor is the best but I do like less butterfat and you can always make butter with it.

brewjack

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
I'm interested in this.  I like to make icecream periodically, and am always adusting my technique.  I've always used pastureized milk/cream, and cook them in the process of making the custard.  How are people doing this w/ raw milk? and are you getting a good texture? or is it icey/grainy?

dthelmers

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
I use straight heavy cream, a bit of sugar and vanilla, no cooking at all. Very rich. I don't make it often.

Helen

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:25:12 AM »
I use straight heavy cream, a bit of sugar and vanilla, no cooking at all. Very rich. I don't make it often.

Shoot. That must taste sooooo good but I don't think I could eat it knowing what goes into it (Yes, I am a girl - can't have the cheese AND the ice cream).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
In the summer sometimes I make icecream or gelato every other night so  cut the cream!

I also have a 300 page, Ice Creame eBook on my wesite - Well I call it:

'Frozen Desserts - Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbetto, Sorbet, Sherbet, Granita, Popsicles, and more’ 

there's even an even lactose free ice cream! Gelato is my favorite though.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/FrozenDesserts.htm

Goto the bottom!

CdnMorganGal

Re: Raw milk & making ice cream - my basic recipe
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
Slightly adapted from my Cuisinart ice-cream maker recipe book

Mix 1 cup chilled whole milk with 2 cups chilled cream, 2tsp vanilla extract and 3/4c sugar.  I simply place them in a plastic pop bottle and shake gently til the sugar dissolves.  Then place in freezer for 1/2hr.

Assemble ice-cream maker with frozen bucket, add milk mixture and let churn for 20-25min.  After ice-cream is made, transfer to cold or frozen container.  Sinfully delicious, and as they say here in Costa Rica - muy rico!

For chocolate ice-cream I couldnt be bothered to make a custard beforehand, so - BEFORE mixing sugar with milk/cream:  increase the sugar to 1c and add cocoa (approx 2.5 heaping soup spoons), mix well.  Proceed with regular recipe.

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »
All of my ice cream recipes involve bringing the milk to a boil. whether its custurd based or not.
I suspect this step got into many recipes not because it improves the ice cream but as a food safty measure but no one mentions it as such.

chewie

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »
my raw goat milk ice cream is tasty, but often it has too many ice crystals.   my goats are saanens with little butterfat, so I think I'm actually making ice milk, therefore I get ice.    am I right?

OudeKaas

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
Hi folks -

Been a while since I have posted but I tohught I would update on this.

We were finally able to connect the dots and get some raw milk from the Holsteins of Byebrook Farm in Delaware County NY (western Catskills, near Delhi). Their info is here http://www.nyfarmcheese.org/cheesemakers.asp?id=42

Looking to feature the milk as much as possible, we made two batches of Madagascar vanilla, Philadelphia-style (no eggs), and dialed back the cream component so it was about 75% milk / 25% cream. One batch was sweetened with regular white sugar and the other with raw Indian Jaggery/Gur brown cane sugar.

The result was pleasant, but I would fine-tune it in the future. The white sugar batch tasted a little bit too sugary sweet somehow. The jaggery batch was a whole different animal, with a beige color and an intriguing subtle fruitiness from the unrefined sugar (one person even guessed "olives?"). I thought of these more as experiments to evaluate the taste and impact of the raw milk in any event.

The texture of both seemed a little bit icier than our other batches, I wonder if the reduction in cream content might have contributed to that. All-milk recipes such as for gelato often have a texturing agent such as corn starch in them, maybe to counteract that?

As to the impact of using raw milk . . . .sounds funny to say, but I guess the ice cream was "milkier" or had a more prominent milk taste. It was not radically different from our other efforts, but the subtle nuances of milky sweetness and other dairy qualities seemed more in the foreground. I would definitely do it again.

Although this milk was unpasteurized, it had been homogenized. I would be interested to try making ice cream with unhomogenized milk also. And finding good quality cream that is not ultra-pasteurized!