Author Topic: Second go at camembert  (Read 1633 times)

gemma.tyson

Second go at camembert
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
Today is the day.  Boiler on stove sterilizing.
Am using the same recipe as last time, 4 litres of whole milk (store bought).  Last time I used flora danica and penicillum camemberti.  My partner surprised me with a range of starters including GEO.  How do I work out how much I need in total.  Do the proportions change if I add GEO or do I just add some on top of what I would use?
He also surprised me with some camembert moulds  O0
Wish me luck!  Will post a photo when I get a chance. 
Have to get out of bed first  :)

mtncheesemaker

Re: Second go at camembert
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:04:56 AM »
Just add a pinch of Geo to whatever else you're using. I recently switched from MA4001 to MM100 on advice from Iratherfly with very good results. He also suggested Aroma B as an alternative.
Pam

gemma.tyson

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:01:52 AM »
Making notes
Used four litres of milk. 2 x 2litres of full cream milk from supermarket.
Brought milk to room temp than heated in sterilised stockpot to 31 degrees over half hour (maybe a little more).
Added 1ml calcium chloride dissolved in boiled water and mixed in up and down motion.
Rested 5 minutes
Added Flora Danica 1/2 sachet (Mad Millie) and 1/2 sachet Penicillium camemberti (Mad Millie).  I had these left from the last make and decided to use them.  Also added a little GEO, all dissolved in a little boiled water and once again mixed in gently with an up and down motion.
Covered and set aside for 70 minutes maintaining a constant 32 degrees. 
Walked two labradors who were telling me it was walk time.
Added 1 ml vegetarian liquid rennet dissolved in 30 ml distilled water.
Flocullation time was 14 minutes - x 6 = 84 minutes
Preserved some lemons whilst waiting.
After 84 minutes a really well set curd.  Cut into one inch diamonds and let rest for 10 minutes.
Once again I was struggling to drain whey.  Ended up scooping the curd with a ladle and allowing the molds to do the job for me.
Three molds are full.  Have been topping up over last half hour, trying to be patient.

Thank you Pam for the advice on the GEO.  After you posted that I remembered that I had read that a smidgen was enough.  Had to transfer the GEO to a sterile container, than rinsed the original container with cool sterile water to remove the remaining dusting ( I hope that was a smidgen )

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
Just add a pinch of Geo to whatever else you're using. I recently switched from MA4001 to MM100 on advice from Iratherfly with very good results. He also suggested Aroma B as an alternative.
Pam
Whoa, Pam! Nice avatar.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks, Boofer. That was a seven mile hike I did with a girlfriend last week. Feel lucky to be able to get out in such beautiful country!

gemma.tyson

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »
Well that was a complete failure!
As previous post, it was again difficult to get all the curd into the hoops.  Persevered, took nearly an hour, but I did get it all in.
The turning went well, left in the baskets overnight, removed from hoops and salted in the morning.  When I came home from work, the camemberts had all collapsed with splits in the tops of all three.
What went wrong?
Am thinking of gently stirring the curds for 15 minutes after resting period as I have read in other recipes?  - any comments
My partner brought me new camembert molds, they have a base with lots of holes, I feel my earlier invention drained quicker though.
Has the height of the camembert caused the sagging belly drop and subsequent split?  The regulation size states 65mm high, these three were close to conformity after draining and turning.  (they are now closer to bread and butter plate size and 40mm high)

On a lighter note.  My first experiment with camembert is being eaten at the moment and they are incredibly yummy!
Help please!

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:28:45 AM »
My camembert molds don't have a bottom, think they drain faster. Maybe leave them to drain longer; getting the moisture out is key. Glad the other batch turned out!

gemma.tyson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
Thanks Pam. 
They were the only ones we could get, everyone was out of stock.  The camemberts appeared to have drained well - but on reflection and looking at the fluid still coming out of the cheese, probably not enough.
Does anyone think stirring the curd is an option to remove more whey before putting in the mold?  Want to try again before I crack the sads  O0

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
I use a perforated ladle to transfer the curds. Sounds as if you picked up a lot of whey with your curds when you say it took an hour to fill the molds.