Author Topic: Brine For Aging Cheese In - 8%, Taste Still too Salty  (Read 2030 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Brine For Aging Cheese In - 8%, Taste Still too Salty
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »
I have been dabling with feta cheese and trying to reach a palatable cheese which is not so salty. So far, texture and taste, I believed I have mastered.  On to preservation side, I tried 12% as was provided in some board guidlines, but that is wicked salty and required a milk bath before eating.  8% was much better, but still salty.  I guess I am at the crossroads where I need to consider extended shelf life (i.e. salty brine) or less salty cheese.
My next trial will be 5% salinity, any advice or perhaps some experiances as to life span of cheese at this lower salt level. 

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Brine For Aging Cheese In - 8%, Taste Still too Salty
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
I am not sure about the life span of the feta in 5% brine but I think you can increase it by reducing the temperature. All my feta cheeses are in strong brine about 18% and I think the aroma is better than my old trials with 10% or less.

Yes, I have to put the cheese in milk before I can eat to reduce the salt.

Thinking that what we produce at home is consumed in less amount of time that we don't need to keep the feta for a year in brine, may be it is a good idea to reduce the salt in brine and do something else for the aroma earlier in the making process.

margaretsmall

Re: Brine For Aging Cheese In - 8%, Taste Still too Salty
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:25:20 AM »
Try brining for a short time then marinate in oil. It will then last for ages (although you will surely eat it up quickly) but won't be so salty. Good to add some flavouring like chilli.
Margaret