Well another one in the books or at least in the cave.
Farm House Cheddar:
January 15, 2009 (out of the press on the morning of the 16th)
- 2 Gallons Store Bought Whole Milk
- Add 1/4 tsp of Calcium Chloride and mix thoroughly
- Bring milk to 90 degrees F in water bath (approximately 45 minutes)
- Sprinkle one package of Mesophilic starter culture on surface of milk and 10 drops of Annetto to milk. Stir for about 1 minute. Ripen for 1 hour.
- Add 1/2 tsp of liquid Rennet in 1/4 Cup distilled water to milk and allow to set for about an hour - could have probably cut the curd after about 40 minutes.
- Cut Curd into 1/2 inch cubes and start raising water bath temps.
- Slowly raise temps in water bath over about 40 minutes to 100 degree F.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes. The curd is noticeable smaller and harder.
- Drain whey in cheesecloth lined colander for about 1 hour over hot whey to keep curd warm.
- Press curd at 15 lbs (approximately 1lb/square inch) for 10 minutes.
- Press curd at 25 lbs (approximately 1.5lb/square inch) for 10 minutes.
- Press curd at 55 lbs (approximately 3.5lb/square inch) for 12 hours.
Raising the temp of the curd - cooking.
Curd after draining and before milling.
Curd after milling (by hand) and salting.
Cheese out of the press after 25 lb press.
Cheese in the press with approximately 55 lbs of pressure.
Cheese out of press and starting to dry. It would sure look cool with my name pressed into the top!
I also need to look at getting some different sized molds for some variation in my cheese!