Author Topic: My first Crottin.  (Read 1980 times)

justsocat

My first Crottin.
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
I made my very first soft cheese – Crottin - using the recipe Françoise posted here once. Instead of MA4001 I used MM100 and TA61 1.5:1, 2% bulk summary. And no PLA.
PC and GEO I got from Cheesemaking.com grow very aggressively so I kept the temp at 10C wipe off all the moisture from the inside of tightly closed container thoroughly twice a day and started pat down before complete PC overgrowth.
3L of milk yield me 4 regular Crottin molds filled to the top and 520 g of the cheese total.
Here they are at 3 weeks mark. Great smell of mushrooms and a little garlic.  No sign of ammonia released. Slightly crispy crust and creamy paste. I’m very proud of these babies.
Special thanks to Françoise and Yoav(Iratherfly) for generously shared information. 

Chris_Abrahamson

Re: My first Crottin.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
Those look very nice!   I will start sampling the crottins I make after 3 weeks of aging but I find 5 weeks to almost 6 weeks to be ideal.   I've followed Yoav's suggestion and switched to PC and PLA without any additional geo.   One of his other suggestions was to age them on straw which I'll try with my next batch.

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
Just saw this post now. These look very nice Pavel.
Chris, any luck with the straw yet?

I only lately actually began using TA culture in these. It's such a ridiculously strong stabilizer that it can really let you age these classic 14-21 day crottins for 5 weeks.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
These are looking awesome Pavel. I wanna make more cheese.

justsocat

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
Thanks to you all from my little ones :)
I like GEO in this cheese. It give the white mass contrast brown layer. It looks lovely.
Don't you think that aging at straw is a bit dangerous? What about contamination? Or that straw is treated somehow?
Yoav, i want that cheese to be stabilized. I've made 5 Camemberts following Peter Dixon's recipe  last time and when it comes to cut into 5th one at 8th week it was already overripened. And too runny as you can see. Now I'm aging 5 very small cams with TA added. Hope they will last much longer.
One of those crottins  i saved from eating. I wrapped it in parchment paper and foil and put it into regular fridge. I plan to find out how it is after four more weeks.
Gurkan, nice to hear from You. Do You cook gnozzi alla romana sometime? ;)

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
Hi Pavel,

I did once and forget about it till now. It is in my recipe book. (what? can't a man have a recipe book)

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Sorry Pavel, I haven't been on in a few weeks.  I stabilize it by adding about 1/8 tsp TA 61 to each 1-3 gallons milk. I also reduce the curd moisture; cutting it smaller and letting it drain longer.  Another aspect of ammoniation is Geo control. It usually grows faster than the PC and may eventually outgrow it. Reduce Geo by a bit.  Also, age it slightly cooler (2°C-4°, or move it sooner to refrigerator)