Author Topic: Morbier Making - General Questions  (Read 1085 times)

TAMARA

Morbier Making - General Questions
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »
Hello fellow cheesemakers,

This is my first post so any guidance would be appreciated.

I have been cheesemaking for a few months but jumped in feet first and am not really loving the challenge and the results (when they are good)!.

I made the morbier posted on the site a few weeks ago and remember reading somewhere that the biggest challenge is getting the two layers to 'knit' together after ashing. My first attempt was great.

Yesterday, I made 3 more wheels. I looks good but the other two were in a different mould and didn't want to come out easily. They finally did but split along the ash line. I have put them back together and have weighted the cheese but not sure if:

1. I should brine it like the recipe says as the ash will just wash away, or perhaps dry salt it?
2. The two halves will ever 'knit' together again after separating the day after making?

If they will knit together, how long should it take and do I just continue aging them as normal?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the recipe says to mature for 60 days but after this time with my first wheel, the flavour was good but the cheese was firm and a little dry - not oily and rich like the bought version. Any hints?

Thanks,

TAMARA