Author Topic: My German/Swiss Tilsit #1  (Read 13830 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My German/Swiss Tilsit #1
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
Using the Tilsit recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes.

After recently sampling a German Tilsit, I thought I'd like to give it a try. I had some free time in the kitchen this weekend and decided to make Tomme #4 yesterday and Tilsit #1 this morning. In an effort to defray the cost of this make, I selected two expensive ($9.99/gal) milks and two gallons from a new source I located this week. Metropolitan Market in Tacoma is a wonderful place. Off in the corner I found this delightful creamline milk. It was apparently on sale for $2.99 a half gallon when I bought it.

2 gallons Dungeness Valley Creamery whole raw Jersey milk
1 gallon Twin Brook Creamery whole creamline Jersey milk
1 gallon Twin Brook Creamery 2% creamline Jersey milk
1/2  tsp TA61
1/16 tsp SR3
3/32 tsp dry calf rennet (1/16 + 1/32)

My target culture temp was 95F. Starting from an initial pH of 6.80, I pitched the rennet (dissolved in cold water) when the pH was 6.61. It floc'd in 10 minutes and I used a multiplier of 3 for a set time of 30 minutes. After cutting to 1/2 inch the pH was 6.46, and I rested the curds for 10 minutes. I have been narrowing down the floc time. Yesterday's make was 1/16 tsp and it floc'd in 18 minutes. Previously I have had quick flocs of 5 and 8 minutes. I figured I'd split the difference and use the 1/16 plus a bit more. That brought me to 3/32 tsp and 10 minutes. If I can repeat that with the next make, I will feel a little more confident.

Cook temp target was 110F at the end of 40 minutes. This was achieved by gradually heating the water bath. A half gallon of the initial whey that was removed was saved for brining.

Applied pressure under whey to achieve a smooth rind, rewrapped but forgot to acidify the cloth to prevent sticking. I was able to remove it without significant damage. Then I added vinegar to some whey and soaked the cloth before rewrapping. I attempted to repeat the same procedure but the first time I removed the cloth, the cheese wheel was so soft and pliable that it was impossible. It started to flatten out and bulge at the sides. I thought it was going to split in half. Then I just left it wrapped and flipped the whole Tomme mold over in the pot. The recipe calls for this cheese not to be pressed. That's the reason it was so soft and floppy. It had a lot of whey in it and some of that drained away over several hours. I placed it into the whey-brine where it will be flipped after 5 hours and removed after 10 hours. At that point it will sit at room temperature for 24 hours, being flipped at the midway point.

I have some Swiss and Pennsylvania-Dutch ancestry...thus the subject line.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My German/Swiss Tilsit #1
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
I shut off the alarm I had set to get me up in time to remove the cheese from the brine at 3:15AM. I removed it later at 5:30AM, staying true to the recipe which had called for 12 hours brine time. I've been trying to adjust for less salt because my cheeses seem to be a little over the top. The Tilsit is now in its minicave at room temperature with the lid cracked. My Tomme #4 sits in the same room, drying its rind as well. Fortunately, it is supposed to be cloudy all day today. The ambient room temp sits at 68F right now at 12:34PM. The cheese gods are smiling on me today  :D .

If my cheeses had eyes they could look over at each other and swap admiring 8) glances,  but then...these aren't alpines.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
After air-drying since Saturday, I put it into cave yesterday.

It has stopped being so wet, thankfully. It looks really creamy. I love the golden color from the milk. Both it and the Tomme have that creamy golden hue.

I find I've run out of space in both caves. It was all I could do to find a suitable minicave in which the cheese would fit and one that would squeeze into one of the caves. Some older cheeses of lesser quality and interest were either tossed or relegated to the big fridge for long-term storage. Others found refuge in the cave doors. With all of those minicaves in use at the moment there is no shelf space left.

The black cave below the white cave houses the Stiltonesque blues. I'm making an attempt to contain the blues. I'm trusting that the Reblochons above don't share their PC or Geo with their neighbors. The lid stays closed on its minicave to maintain RH.

Who knew making cheese would be so complicated?  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
Way to go, Boofer, NOW your cave is starting to look all properly stuffed! ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
I'm a day early with starting the brine wash this morning. The curd looks really creamy. I'm looking forward to developing a nice stinky rind on this cheese. It looks like there will be a lot for the b. linens to like.

The comparison pic shows the Tomme I did last Friday next to this make I did on Saturday. Quite different cheeses even from the start.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
The linens is starting to make its presence known. I've been trying to keep some blue at bay. I may need to do some gentle brushing soon to maintain the rind.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »
Looking good Booffer! Amazing how those caves are like rabbits - they just seem to multiply.  ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
Looking good Boofer! Amazing how those caves are like rabbits - they just seem to multiply.  ;)
Yeah, but the wife told asked me yesterday that I wasn't going to be getting another cave...right?!!

Ah, yeah...that's right, Honey.  ;)  If I need more room, I'll hook a controller up to the unused chest freezer....  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:29 AM »
Fighting blue on this cheese. Washing with the 3% brine with linens.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Omigosh (OMGH  ;) ), when I opened the minicave this morning...what a sight!!!

I think it was even bluer than my Stiltonesque #2. Bluer . . . bluer . . . anyone?  8)

Okay, I had to haul out the cheese brush. This was serious. It has only been two days since I last washed it. I believe I have a small case of cross-contamination, even though I keep the blues in their own cave. Eh, nothing to do but keep fighting it as I proceed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
I use 10% brine for my port salut style cheese to remove visitors.
Maybe you can try use stronger brine 1- 2 times and looks how it goes. And bleach minicave.
Linens can accept that brine and still be happy  :)   

- b linens. Likes 50-65F, tolerates salt up to 12-15%, likes high humidity above 90%

Hande

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I use 10% brine for my port salut style cheese to remove visitors.
Maybe you can try use stronger brine 1- 2 times and looks how it goes. And bleach minicave.
Linens can accept that brine and still be happy  :)   

- b linens. Likes 50-65F, tolerates salt up to 12-15%, likes high humidity above 90%

Hande
Sounds like a good idea. If my current efforts don't get it under control, I'll have to follow your guidance.

Seems like I read somewhere in here that if you want to eliminate blue development on your Stilton rind and have a smooth rind, apply salt. You're providing that same direction to control the blue here.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »
Bluer . . . bluer . . . anyone?

Now Boofer, don't you go makin' your brown Tilsit blue ...  A)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Bluer . . . bluer . . . anyone?

Now Boofer, don't you go makin' your brown Tilsit blue ...  A)
Sweet!!  :D

No, I don't get a Day Off with this cheese....  ;)    (Well, that's an exaggeration. It gets washed every other day.)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »
Sweet!!  :D

No, I don't get a Day Off with this cheese....  ;)    (Well, that's an exaggeration. It gets washed every other day.)

Okay, but make sure The Mouse doesn't find the cave in the meantime.   :P