Author Topic: Cave dried Gouda hard and crumbly  (Read 3687 times)

mrsick44

Cave dried Gouda hard and crumbly
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
Hi All,
I just waxed my second Gouda and I am quite discouraged. Per the recipe from Ricki Carroll (mostly...did some gleaning elsewhere) I let it dry after brining in a wine cooler drying cave that it at 76-78% RH faithfully and 57F. It got just a small dusting of whitish looking "good mold" and felt dusty (from the brine I'm sure) but other than that it never had a problem. Initially it smelled WONDERFUL...buttery and fresh.  Then around day 10 or so, I noticed that it the smell wasn't as pronounced and it was HARD to the touch, no flexibility or rubbery-ness. I elected not to continue aging it as it was hard on the edges but not the same "dry" in the center. Not moist or anything...just hard for me to determine. At any rate, I could nt stand it and cut into the ULTRA hard edges only to find that it was so salty and so very crumbly. Paste was very dry. No tang, no real sharp notes, no personality at all, just dry salty and bland. I waxed and pouted and am wondering what I did wrong. I do have the fastidious notes I made and a pictures if anyone wants to help me. Just wondering if aging will correct some of these initial flaws or if I missed the boat on this one. Ive worked so hard on getting the variables under tight control that this almost made me want to give up.....almost ::)
Thanks for being such a great group. I feel myself down shifting already ;)

george

Re: Cave dried Gouda hard and crumbly
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Every gouda I made using that recipe came out nasty - much like yours.  Aging didn't make a difference.  Use the 200 Easy Cheeses recipe now - they come out awesome!  (even to me, who is not a HUGE gouda fan, but I like it for a change now and then)

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
It sounds like it was over salted.  Tell me about your salting/brining process.

mrsick44

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
Hmmm...SmilingCalico I think you're right. I'm looking over my notes and I used 3 1/2 gallons of milk (Walmart) but brined for 16 hours. I had unexpected visitors and it sat longer than it should have. My notes indicate 3-4 hours per lb of cheese but since I didn't weigh this one, I guessed at 12 hours for the brining....and still overshot the mark, :(
Thanks for always taking the time to respond. What a blessing you are!
Now, should I just compost this "thing" or what?
Have a cheese! 8)

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:21 AM »
I think it's a combination of things. First off, 3½ gallon would yield a little less than 1Lbs Gouda so your brining is indeed strong but I don't think that's enough to kill the cheese. Many times over-brining causes a thick hard rind to form and one may think that the cheese is very hard but underneath when it is aged you will be shocked to find a soft elastic body with the right moisture. The tough dense rind had protected the cheese from over-drying.  You won't be able to judge this in the early days of cheese because the enzymes have not gotten to work yet.

Likewise, you can't judge a cheese at all at the tender age of 10 days. Nothing has happened yet. The curd is still knotting. The enzymes have just began breaking down the proteins (which gives the cheese its soft texture but takes about 2-3 months minimum in a Gouda). You won't find any sharpness in the cheese because lipolysis had not taken place yet (the breakdown of fatty acids which give cheese its sharpness).  The starter bacteria is still alive and doing its work and the initial aroma had disappeared and has not been replaced yet with the aroma of the fine aged cheese. Gasses and yeasts have not yet been developed, and acidity is still not in its final place - really, there is no flavor, texture or aroma, nothing to judge cheese quality by at day 10.

It seems to me that your acidification schedule got messed up somehow. Somewhere between heating up the milk and cutting the curd you have developed too much acidity (waited too long? Used old milk?).  Milk quality is a serious contributing factor. While you don't need to go as far as raw milk, you need to at least use non-homogenized milk for reasonable results.  If the Walmart milk was ultra pasteurized than you will have issues too because the proteins might have been dented already and there are not enough enzymes or native bacterium.  Moreover, Walmart milk is likely from cows who are not local and do not graze (cheap corn, grain and silage feed). That can result in poor aging results.  If the cows have been treated with antibiotics, the milk may resist your bacterial cultures and some of the long-term rennet activity.  They say cheese starts with milk and is made in the vat...  Use the best milk for cheesemaking and follow the vat procedure tightly.

One final note; I really find Ricky Carrol's recipes to be inaccurate, missing steps and not very fine.  I too would suggest using 200 Easy Cheese Recipes. Really nice collection of useful and accurate recipes of large varieties of cheese.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
IRF,

3-1/2 gallons of milk should yield around 3-1/2 pounds of Gouda.

This cheese is simply too young for any meaningful critique.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
You are right Sailor, late night, don't know how I came up with this wierd number. It's always 1:1 Gal/lb ratio on these moist hard cheeses.

And though it is too young to judge as I also said, some things such as cracking dry hard cheese can be apparent very early on if you have seen it a couple of times before.

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
I couldn't add any more to IRF's comment.  Definitely keep the cheese to see what develops.

mrsick44

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
To all of you....Thanks so very much! This forum, along with some creative and downright brilliant minds is utterly humbling and I joy to come here and glean! Thanks for your passion and time ;)

Ira- thank you so much for the detailed and well thoughtout analysis of the cheese. Not only does it make sense to a new hobbyist, I am left richer and more intelligent in my process as a result.  To the issue of milk, I have found that to be key. I normally use a local creamline milk here, as raw is not really practicable for me to obtain, but my local market was out. I will get a copy of 200 cheese recipes asap. Thank you so much for your encouraging words and instruction.

SCQ- Thank you. I can now wait for this one to age with some hope and will post how it turns out. I always appreciate your comments and analysis around the forum. Again, I learn so much from this group.

SmilingCalico-Thanks for checking on me!  ;D
I'm looking forward to what the next 90 days will do  for my Gouda ^-^

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
I also use the 200 Recipes book and have been very pleased.  I hope you are able to wait it out because the Gouda I've been making is very pleasant.  The longest I've aged is 90 days, but I'm making a lot more cheese now so I'm hoping that some make it to the year mark before being cracked.

Keep the faith!