Author Topic: pH Meters & Dairy - Care & Maintenance  (Read 2169 times)

GParenteau

pH Meters & Dairy - Care & Maintenance
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Hello All and Happy Holidays.

My name is Gary and I am with Hanna Instruments. I am planning on participating in this forum to answer questions on instrumentation as well as assist in areas where we can add value .  In addition and most important is for me to learn directly from users of our products as we strive for continuous improvement.

Some important tips about all pH meters regardless of price or manufacturer.

1. pH meters compute an equation called the Nerst Equation. The pH electrode produces an exchange of ions that along with temp get inserted into this computation that  ultimately  produces the pH value you see. It is very important to properly maintain your pH electrode. Cleaning and storing it in the proper solution will produce more reliable and accurate results over a long period of time.

2. Dairy samples can and will clog the reference in the pH electrode. Specific cleaning solutions for dairy are available.

I will help anyone who is unsure if they have a good pH electrode.

OlJarhead

Re: pH Meters & Dairy - Care & Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:59 AM »
Hello All and Happy Holidays.

My name is Gary and I am with Hanna Instruments. I am planning on participating in this forum to answer questions on instrumentation as well as assist in areas where we can add value .  In addition and most important is for me to learn directly from users of our products as we strive for continuous improvement.

Some important tips about all pH meters regardless of price or manufacturer.

1. pH meters compute an equation called the Nerst Equation. The pH electrode produces an exchange of ions that along with temp get inserted into this computation that  ultimately  produces the pH value you see. It is very important to properly maintain your pH electrode. Cleaning and storing it in the proper solution will produce more reliable and accurate results over a long period of time.

2. Dairy samples can and will clog the reference in the pH electrode. Specific cleaning solutions for dairy are available.

I will help anyone who is unsure if they have a good pH electrode.

Thanks for the note.  I plan to get one of the cheaper meters soon (I'm only making 1lb cheeses once in a while now and won't spend the money for the more expensive meters until I'm at the point in which I am making a lot more) and appreciate the information.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »
GP - What do you recommend for a cleaning and storage protocol specifically for cheese makers?

FYI - Most of us do not measure emulsified samples, so a flat surface probe is really helpful for directly measuring curd mats or the surface of a fresh pressed wheel. Recessed probes just will not work. What does Hanna have that is comparable in price and quality to an ExTech 110? I have seen your HI 2211-FD meter for cheese and dairy, but at $499 it's a little pricey for most hobbyists.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:14 AM »
Gary, welcome to the forum and thanks for your willingness to give and receive input. I am ordering a replacement for my Extech very soon and I am very interested in your response to Sailor's 2nd question. Please include electrode replacement cost as well for comparison sake. I make cheese once a week 9 months out of the year and am wondering what kind of durability I should expect with a proper cleaning and storage protocol.
I am sure your answer to the first question will be an invaluable addition to the archives here as well. Sitting on the edge of  my seat... :)

GParenteau

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
Hi Sailor Con Queso

Happy holidays.

1. Regarding Cleaning - The best way to clean a pH electrode is to soak it in pH cleaning solution. We have a specific solution for cleaning dairy samples, HI70642L. At a minimum, using general purpose cleaning solution will have a positive impact. Estimated soaking time after use would be about 5 minutes.

2. Storage - Definately do not let your pH electrode go dry. This applies to all manufacturers. There is electrode storage solution available. When you are ready to store your pH meter, keep the pH electrode saturated in some storage solution. If you do not have any, the next best option would be to use a 4 buffer.

3. Thank you very much for your feedback on the need for a flat tip electrode. We have a couple of models that come with flat tip electrodes that I think might work great. If I can send you one as a sample would you be willing to give me some feedback?  There would be two pricing options for flat tips pH meters, one would be around $99 the other would be around $199.00.

Regards

Gary

GP - What do you recommend for a cleaning and storage protocol specifically for cheese makers?

FYI - Most of us do not measure emulsified samples, so a flat surface probe is really helpful for directly measuring curd mats or the surface of a fresh pressed wheel. Recessed probes just will not work. What does Hanna have that is comparable in price and quality to an ExTech 110? I have seen your HI 2211-FD meter for cheese and dairy, but at $499 it's a little pricey for most hobbyists.