Author Topic: Can You Name This Cheese?  (Read 823 times)

Illiterate

Can You Name This Cheese?
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:55 AM »
Hi there, I need a little help identifying this cheese.
I just cut into this cheese I made on 6/16/11 and for some reason I didn't copy a name or where the recipe came from, but it tastes great, slices nice at room temp. , breaks like sharp Cheddar when cold, tastes like a sharp Gouda, melts well with a little stretch to it and a great nutty taste. I'm going to make it again tomorrow to make sure it wasn't an accident.
    The make is for 1 gal of whole milk, 3 cubes of thermo. starter and rennet added at the same time, cut curd at 90 min., raise temp. to 124 deg F, wash curd 3 times, press lightly for 2 hrs. then at 150 # for 12 hrs , 26% brine for 24 hrs.

I'm wondering if this is a real cheese or something I was experimenting with.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Sam

P.S. The curd time is unusual because I've been using Flocc. time for quite a while now.

Tomer1

Re: Can You Name This Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Sounds like a good made up,you should do PH\TA marking so you can recreat it more easly.
Cheeses cooked to such high heat rarely get washed (I havent seen any personally), are you cutting it to rice size like parm or larger?

Illiterate

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
It really tastes great, so I'm trying it again right now, and I'll let you know how it comes out in about 6 weeks.
I cut everything with a fairly wide plastic whisk so the curd is not to small, but it's funny that you mention Parm, because I had made a Parm and a Romano per DeeJay's recipe and a Cheddar with  a 124 deg cheddaring temp just days before this, so this is probably an experiment that I just failed to mark as such.
Thanks for jogging my memory and making me look further.

Sam

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »
At 124f your bacteria dies when making a chedder (messo type) so I assume you used a thermo culture or alse flavour would not have developed much.

Illiterate

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »
Yes it was Thermo starter. I need to stop making notes in more then 1 place.
I have 15 cheeses in various stages right now, so, because I lost track of what cheeses were which with all the turning and cleaning, a while back I started marking them with food coloring dots. I made a color chart with the date and a few notes and there I named this HARD PRESSED, which would indicate an experiment. I didn't name it that in my every day notes.

Thanks

Sam