Author Topic: farmhouse cheddar  (Read 2693 times)

chickenchaps

farmhouse cheddar
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
I made a farmhouse cheddar, stirred curd recipe, from my own raw goat milk.
Everything seemed to go well and turned out good.  Only thing I was concerned about...
The first pressing at 10 pounds expelled a lot of whey.
Second pressing at 20 pounds expelled just a little whey.
Long 50 pound pressing expressed hardly none.  ?? 

This is what it looks like.

It is kinda "spongy", like a pillow.  It is air drying now, drying well.  Although last night I did a dumb thing.  I set it on its side so it would dry on the top and bottom.  Bad idea.  It split- just a little, only an inch long split, not very deep.  But it expressed some whey when it split, maybe 1/2 teaspoon.  Is this a bad sign that there is too much whey still inside?
Is there anything I need to do to fix the crack?

More questions....
Before aging, does the outside rind need to be washed?  If so, with what, how?

Some recipes said to wax it.  Is this true?  Does it require waxing? 
or can it be vacuum sealed?
or just oil it?

I was thinking about getting a little dorm fridge for a dedicated cheese cave.  Then found some info in the wiki's that indicated maybe a wine cooler would be a better choice.  ??  Whats the general opinion on best cheese cave?
Or would the bottom drawer of my fridge be ok?

Oh dear... I have more questions, but better stop until I get some replys.  :)
Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: farmhouse cheddar
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
Is this a bad sign that there is too much whey still inside?
May be, Goat milk is different then cow's, next time try lower weight and longer pressing. Or increasing the temps a bit during renneting and cutting/waiting stages may help. The French says that the goat milk curd should be treated gently like a bride.

Is there anything I need to do to fix the crack?
Apply lard in and around the crack after washing it with vinegar.

Before aging, does the outside rind need to be washed?  If so, with what, how?
I only wipe it with vinegar or heavy brine if mould appears to grow.

Some recipes said to wax it.  Is this true?  Does it require waxing?
It doesn't, but I waxed it as my wheels are smaller and don't want to loose cheese on the rind. It can be vacuum sealed or oiled. Search the forum for rind management.

Whats the general opinion on best cheese cave?
Or would the bottom drawer of my fridge be ok?
I have 3 cheese fridges, the best one is an old bar fridge where the freezer compartment in the fridge and modified thermostat keeps the temp about 11-12 degrees celcius. You basically need to master the temp and humidity and keep an eye on the changes. Bottom drawer of normal fridge would be too cold.

chickenchaps

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
Thank you very much for your help!  :)

There is SO much information and so many different ways to achieve the same goal!  Its confusing and overwhelming.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Yes Chickenchap, it is confusing at times but if you concentrate on what cheese you are going to make that weekend and start searching the forum for it on Monday and collecting info till Friday you will be good to go.  8)

First of all, I inform my wife for that weekend's project  :-*
If approved, I start digging in the forum and collect info,  A)
Then I device a plan with timeline and see if I have all the ingredients,
I check the aging and storing requirements as well and prepare accordingly.

Start making it on Saturday morning and while it is waiting for renneting, cutting etc, I do other domestic chores with my wife.  O0

mrsick44

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
Chickencahps welcome!
Totally agree with Gurkan. There is alot of information here and it can get overwhelming. I too, am new at this but I've found that intentional cheesemaking makes for better cheese. I do a lot of research first, based on the recipe I think I want to use. Then I make sure I have or can manage the drying/aging requirements..or as it is properly called, the affinage. I clear the calendar and focus on the task, being mindful of the details. In the periods between I refine my notes, clean, and odds n' ends that pass the time but don't take my focus too far. One cheese at a time and it does begin to come together.
As for waxing/oiling/natural rinds on your cheese...I've done all. Its a personal preference, depending on what you desire in a rind and how much time you want to dedicate to maintenance. I have a 4lb farmhouse in the cave right now that is natural and I only wipe it down with a 3%brine solution every few days if necessary becasue I want a more flavorful rind. Happy cheesemaking and welcome.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
50 pounds is really not enough for cheddar,you need to up to triple or quadruple that.

judyp

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
50 pounds is really not enough for cheddar,you need to up to triple or quadruple that.
Really?  I think my recipe calls for 50#.  How much weight do you normally press at?  Does the mold size make a difference how much weight you would apply? 

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
My press is a X3 force multiplier and I try to use 20kg (20X3X2=120 pounds) which is really not even close to the pressure required.
Of course it makes a difference,larger mold means less pressure per given force, Im using a 1kg mold (around 4.5inch dimeter)
My hydraulic wine press is nearly complete,I designed it with adjustable hight so I'l be able to bring hell upon the curds!
Your looking at anywhere between 10 to 40 psi for cheddar.
If you want to talk practical,use as much wight as you can possibly can.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »
First of all, I inform my wife for that weekend's project  :-*
If approved, I start digging in the forum and collect info,  A)
Start making it on Saturday morning and while it is waiting for renneting, cutting etc, I do other domestic chores with my wife.  O0
We have a line in the Preamble to our Constitution: "insure domestic tranquility". It's good to see you're doing the same.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »
We have a line in the Preamble to our Constitution: "insure domestic tranquility". It's good to see you're doing the same.

Good one Boofer, I will use this saying from now on.  A)