Author Topic: ph meters in New Zealand?  (Read 7962 times)

JeffHamm

ph meters in New Zealand?
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know where to look for ph meters in New Zealand?  And do you have any recommendations?

- Jeff

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: ph meters in New Zealand?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
When I was looking into getting an IQ125, I said to myself; there must be a company selling this in Australia and I found them. They quoted me <hang on to your chair now> $700AU. I said to them that I can order this little pH meter from US and it will cost way way way cheaper including postage. They said nothing in return and I ordered from cheesemaking.com.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »
Yah, I checked  the chemistry department at the University thinking they probably have lines on inexpensive ones for students, etc, but they only get the top of the line $1200.00 NZ ones for the labs and the students don't get their own.  That was a bit more than I think I want to spend! :) 

- Jeff

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
I have seen Dick Smith Powerhouse is stocking some pH meters. Do you have Dick Smith in NZ?

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
Are you paying alot of import tax over NZ?
If not you can just order your insturment by mail from the manufacturer directly.
Shipping may be expenssive (70-80$) but as you say,it will still be alot cheaper then buying locally.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:05 AM »
Hi,

Yah, we have Dick Smith's.  Also, I think pet stores sell pH meters for fish tanks that might work well enough.  I've seen online pet stores list them, but haven't checked in the local stores.  But, worth a shot.

- Jeff

bigfish_oz

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
Hi,

Yah, we have Dick Smith's.  Also, I think pet stores sell pH meters for fish tanks that might work well enough.  I've seen online pet stores list them, but haven't checked in the local stores.  But, worth a shot.

- Jeff

I'd save your money. The one I bought from DSE is lightly less useful than a fist full of air. It is quite unable to decide on a pH and prefers to oscillate over three or four decimal places. Also, given the length of time they stay in stock, the electrode is never kept moist...

Cheers,
Alan

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Alan.  Will look into pet shops and see if they have any recent stock, etc. 

- Jeff