Author Topic: Queso Blanco - Vinegar Amount?  (Read 3730 times)

whichwhey?

Queso Blanco - Vinegar Amount?
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
I just made this recipe and was wondering if anyone else had to use more than 1/4 cup vinegar? I had to use about 1/2 cup of vinegar instead. It would not curd no matter how long I stirred for. I thought why not try more vinegar and it worked. Not sure what it will taste like.But it looks like cheese. So.............. And is there any thing I can use the whey for?

Here a picture of it http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt238/ohwhataday03/all056.jpg

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:27:51 PM by whichwhey? »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Queso Blanco - Vinegar Amount?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:04 AM »
Congrats WW. I have not made Queso Blanco and I don't know how much milk you used but seems that the when using vinegar most of it doesn't absorb in the cheese but stays in the whey in the recipes I have used.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
I have had the same experience.

GREYtownDWELLER

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
i added a 1/4 cup of vinegar the other night when making queso blanco with a gallon of whole milk.  as with your situation it did not completely curd for about ten minutes.  i then poured more in from the bottle periodically while stirring, within 30 seconds it had completely curddled.  after draining the whey i mixed in garlic salt.  not vinegar taste transferred over to the cheese, it does have a nice garlic hint.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:07 AM »
I've only made it once where used 3 ounces for 1 US gallon whiole milk and your picture looks very similar. Acid amount depends on milk, acid strength etc.

Your amount of whey will be too small to use to make Ricotta, just dump down the drain or use it in one of the ways listed here.