Author Topic: Whole Non-Homogenized Milk  (Read 5470 times)

Likesspace

Re: Whole Non-Homogenized Milk
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
Wayne, that's a bummer.
On the bright side, you did find out that CaCl is necessary (at least in your case).
I started out using CaCl and have used it in every single cheese I've made.
Honestly, I don't even give it a second thought anymore.
Sorry this one didn't turn out, especially considering the expense.
Next weekend will be better.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
Thanks all.  Lessons learned.

I can be a real dummy sometimes...

Again,  great information,  I love this group.

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 12:59:17 AM »
Wayne, sad news.

On CaCl2, I'm in Tea's camp, I've only ever used store bought pasteurized, homogenized cow's milk and my first ~20 batches were without CaCl2 and no significant problem getting a good curd set. I bought CaCl2 as everyone said how it gets you a better curd set with pasteurized milk.

I think I need to do an A-B experiment, two cheese makings from the same 1 US gallon jug of milk, identical methodologies, but one without adding CaCl2.

chilipepper

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:45 AM »
Wayne, that is a total bummer!  I know it is of no consolation but it should have worked!  ???  Ever since I've had access to raw milk it has really been a pleasant experience.  I too get the cream goo on top of the jug if it sits for a few days.  It does however usually distribute back through the milk after a good shaking.

Have both your failed raw milk cheeses been with the same brand/source of milk?  If so I would certainly try and contact them and see if there is something they are not telling or letting the consumer know about their process/product.

Maybe you SHOULD have thrown some clams in it and called it good! :)

wharris

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
I was so distraught that i totally missed that opportunity. 
I could have simply tossed in some clams, garlic, onions, bacon, potatos,  bit of flour...........  what was i thinking.

great, now i'm hungry.