Author Topic: Swelling Pressed Swiss Cheese, While Brining - Raw Milk Contamination  (Read 1798 times)

tnbquilt

I made a raw milk swiss cheese last weekend. I was so excited to get raw milk, and it's expensive. When I put it in the brine for 12 hours it swelled up. The swelling has gone down some now, but I don't now if the cheese will be any good.

I made new brine, but I added the old brine that I already had to it, and brought it to a boil. Then I let it cool until morning when I put the cheese in it.

I am careful to put the right amount of salt in the water, but if the old brine had lost some salt because of the previous use, maybe the salt content was low. However, the brine has a haze in the bottom of the pot and I thought that meant that it was saturated and could not absorb anymore.

Cheese Head

Re: Swelling Pressed Swiss Cheese, While Brining - Raw Milk Contamination
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:49 PM »
See the Wiki: Body Defects, Mechanical Holes article for some causes of swelling.

From what you've said I would assume either yeast (seems to fast for yeast but does it smell yeasty and were you using yeast for breadmaking at same time?) or coliform contamination as using raw milk.

If you search the forum for "Swell Yeast" you'll find several threads like this one. Like wise if you search "Swell Coliform".

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Low salt concentration wouldn't cause this. Swelling this early in the process definitely suggests contamination.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
The book 200 Cheese Recipes says that it could be not enough salt in the brine or bacteria. I don't now how to determine which one it is. I am going to make a brand new brine and make the same cheese again, being very careful with the sanitation practices and see if it happens again. I hope that it is an isolated thing and doesn't happen again. If it happens again, I won't buy milk from that man anymore.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
I usually boil my brine, skim it through cheesecloth, adjust the salt, add more calcium and use it again.

You may also try to pasteurise the milk you are getting. This will eliminate any carbondioxide producing bacteria in the milk.

Some of my contaminated cheeses didn't swell as much. How much P. Shermanii did you use for this recipe? Also what was the temperature of your brine? It must be cold. If the temp is higher, P. Shermanii may found a perfect ground to reproduce.

I would continue the process and finish the swiss. Try later on to see if there is any off smell/taste.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
It takes time for salt to migrate from a brined surface to the center of the cheese. So, inadequate brine can contribute to problems down the road, but swelling this early is most likely a contamination problem originating in your raw milk. With early gas production, it is most likely a coliform - not good. That's one of the signs that you look for with bad milk. There are many possible points along the way that would result in this, but the primary cause is sanitation at the farm. How quickly was the milk cooled? To what temp? And how did you take care of the milk in transit and at home? You should NEVER let raw milk warm up unless you intentionally want the native bacteria to grow.

All milk has at least tiny populations of contaminants, so establishing the starter bacteria quickly will help out compete the "bad bugs". When using raw milk I add starter very early to the cold milk so they get a good head start. They don't really start multiplying and eating lactose until things warm up, but neither do contaminants. When things do reach ripening temperatures, there will be billions of starter compared to relatively few contaminants. As the starter produces lactic acid from lactose and the pH drops, the environment becomes less favorable for contaminants.

If you haven't already, I would pitch that cheese. Please do not "taste test" it. Not worth the risk.