Author Topic: Yogurt, Goat Milk - Adjusting Texture  (Read 2585 times)

Sans Gene

Yogurt, Goat Milk - Adjusting Texture
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »
Hi,

New here to this board and have learned so much already!  I have Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats, and have just started making yogurt and fresh cheese. I did a search earlier, but didn't find a solution to my question.  The texture I'm getting with my yogurt is close to sour cream thick, but it is slightly lumpy when you scoop it out. Stirring smooths most of the lumps out, but tiny ones remain scattered throughout. It tastes wonderful - nice tang and very rich. I myself like the texture (the "lumps" dissolve almost instantly and have a pleasant mouthfeel to me)  but wonder if this is normal.  Is it possible to get a smoother texture without additives, for my texture-impaired friends?

I've made 3 batches and they've all had the same texture. I use whole Nigerian Dwarf goats milk (est 6-8% butterfat),  Y4 yogurt culture from New England Cheesemaking, 1/4 drop rennet, heating to 185, cooling to 116, adding culture and rennet, and holding for 8-12 hours at between 100-115 (temp drops a bit over time in my home-made incubator). 

What can I do differently?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Yogurt, Goat Milk - Adjusting Texture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
I do not use rennet.

Heat raw goat milk to 180
hold for 20 mins
Cool to 115-118
add culture or 1 Tbls of plain yogurt per quart
Hold at 115-118 for 6-8 hours
Refrigerate over night.

It is not as thick as store bought but plenty thick for all of my customers.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
I agree.

I heat up to 87'C
Hold it there for 20 minutes
Cool it down to about 32-35'C
Add my cultures (PS. What culture strains do you use?)
Place in incubator at 41'C for 7 Hours
Place in fridge for 8 hours (Try to cool it down as fast as possible to prevent further lactic acid production)
Add fruit pulp/flavourant or whatever you like.
Leave for another 8 Hours then use.

When I take my yogurt out of the fridge, it is nice and thick as well, but tends to have some "lumps" at the bottom, but by stirring it gently
with a whisk, it helps smooth things out. Remember to scoop the cream layer oof the top before stirring as that creates lumps as well.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
I use one from dairyconnections to start then use mine as long as i can

Sans Gene

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions  :)    On my next batch I will try holding at 180 for 20 minutes before cooling to holding temp, and skip the rennet when adding culture, and see what I get.
Will give a try using a little of my own yogurt to start (will try out dairyconnections as well when time replace culture as a backup).

Place in fridge for 8 hours (Try to cool it down as fast as possible to prevent further lactic acid production)

Remember to scoop the cream layer oof the top before stirring as that creates lumps as well.

Ah! - I do put it in the fridge, but I might experiment with putting it in the freezer for 30 minutes after I take it out of the incubator, to quick-cool it like I do with my milk after milking.   

I don't have a cream layer as the goat milk does not separate out like cow milk does. But, this adds to my suspicion that the very high fat content of the milk may be a significant factor to the lump formation (and why the lumps are so tasty  ;D lol!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:08:51 PM by Sans Gene »

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
I do not put in the freezer, simply goes in the fridge . By morning it is perfect.