Author Topic: Mixed rind Tomme  (Read 5933 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Mixed rind Tomme
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »
Fantastic finish again Hande.  The precision on that rind is outstanding.  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
Thank you guys  :)
I used the same recipe as first one.
First one I wash brine with PLA,  and for that second I use brine where was rind of Tomme de Savoie + PLA.
After few weeks washing period I rub it gently maybe 2 times of month to keep geo control.

Hande

anarch

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
Lovely.  The natural rind cheeses on this forum are truly inspirational.  I think I need to try some.  I'm fed up with waxing. 

FRANCOIS

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
I'm getting on my soap box:

I recently judged at a cheese contest. I was very impressed by the rind variety, complexity and overall polish of the washed rind cheeses, particularly the goats.  Yet every one of them was an absolute disappointment when it was opened.  The best of them were dry and bland, the worst tasted like rotten garbage.  Cheese makers in this part of the world apparently seem to think that the rind makes the cheese.  These aren't mould ripened cheeses, in reality the milk, curd recipe, starter and aging profile create the dominate flavour and texture.  The rind is just icing on the cake, it indirectly affects flavour and texture of the body through moisture and gas regulation and of course it has it's own sensory profile, but it's secondary.

I'm NOT implying the cheese in this thread is less than perfect, just seemed an appropriate place to pontificate.  It is a really nice looking tomme.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »
Hande - that is an absolutely beautiful looking cheese. From the rind to the inside it looks absolutely perfect. A cheese for you!  I am also happy to hear that it tastes good. That's the more important attribute after all.

I wish I will get to your level of cheesemaking some day.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread and the opportunity to appauld this cheese. It looks perfectly wonderful. It will if nothing more give you insight on how to improve the next one. Sounds like you were s bit disappointed in the paste but a bit of tweaking and you will probably have exactly what you are striving for! This wheel is worth a cheese in my book!