Author Topic: Pics of my Stilton's  (Read 1761 times)

Firkin

Pics of my Stilton's
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
I thought I would post these up, my first go at a blue. I followed a recipe I found online. Only thing I couldn't quite get was the smoothing the cheese with a spoon bit, my curds were quite hard and weren't keen to spread, I am going to age them and wish for the best.

Pics are 1 week after I made them. Both were made using 7.5 litres of milk, they are 4" each.

Neil H

Re: Pics of my Stilton's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
they look great ....

As a stilton i am surprised that the curds were so dry, as generally they are super wet.... but dry is not a bad thing at all ... you may have more of a roquefort on your hands than a stilton .... either way, BLUE is best !!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
Nice looking cheeses Firkin. It is time to heavily salt the rind I think.

OudeKaas

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:27 PM »
Looks yummy. Lotsa nooks and crannies with those big curd pieces . . . "friends call me chunk-style!"

buttner-jenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
Nice soft focus in second photo - they look very scrummy.  Don't forget to leave a taste test comment  A)

Mo

nigel white

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »
Certainly looks more like a European style blue - but did you know that Stilton is a protected name (like Roquefort) and can only be used on cheese made by dairies in the English Counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire from local milk and to a prescribed recipe? These protected names are precious and the protected name system is designed to maintain the style and recipe of some of our greatest cheeses. Using those names on products made elsewhere and to different recipes confuses consumers and risks damaging the reputation of the cheeses concerned. So can you use a more generic name?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
Hi Nigel,

I understand your concern but I don't think that Firkin is planning any commercial production yet.

We just refer to the cheeses we made with its original name so that everybody on the forum can understand what it is.