Author Topic: Meat Grinders  (Read 1640 times)

tnsven

Meat Grinders
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
I'm in the market for an electric meat grinder and, while I could join some butchering group, I thought I'd look for advice from the trusted cheese making crew here.

We'll be doing 5-6 pigs & 5-10 lambs/sheep each year. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you so much!!

Kristin

Tomer1

Re: Meat Grinders
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
If you dont mind the extra time most kitchen mixers have grinder attachment.
I have an old kenwood mixer and It takes no more then 2 minutes to go through 2 pounds of meat twice. (double grind)

tnsven

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Thanks, Tomer. I have a (crappy) Kitchen Aid mixer and it can barely handle my bread & butter needs. Plastic gears these days, you know. I doubt it would handle the amount of meat we will be running through it.  I'd love to find a Hobart meat grinder and a mixer too, for that matter. The older ones were so well made.

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:51:26 AM »
If DeeJayDebbie doesn't also post an answer here soon, I'd recommend PM'ing her.  I think she might have the most charcuterie experience here.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
Hi Kristen,

Which country are you in? Have a look at the butcher suppliers or home sausage making web sites in your local area. They will have good advice and list of grinders to buy. Also you can ask to a local butcher to grind it for you and you can spend your money only on the stuffer though with the load of yours, it is better to buy a good one.

I would suggest to buy the best grinder you can effort with different sizes of plates and a sausage stuffer for stuffing. Grinder also used for stuffing but does not do a good job.

Also visit commercial appliance suppliers to see what is available. Maybe you can get like 5 or 6 like minded people to fund a kick a** commercial grinder. Make sure it works with normal 10amp power though. you don't want to go 3 phase bull eater  ;D

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
Thanks, Tomer. I have a (crappy) Kitchen Aid mixer and it can barely handle my bread & butter needs. Plastic gears these days, you know. I doubt it would handle the amount of meat we will be running through it.  I'd love to find a Hobart meat grinder and a mixer too, for that matter. The older ones were so well made.

Mine is accually from the 70s and doesnt look a day over 90s.  O0

Saltysteele

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:11:11 AM »
yes, your price range is definitely a must know.  you can run the gamut in sizes and prices, but price is most often a limiting factor  :)

i don't know what country, state or area you are, how much room you have, or what.  here is an example of a nice-sized grinder (in my opinion), but i don't know if this is a good price or not.  just to give an idea  :)
http://swmi.craigslist.org/bfs/2516152327.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
If you are going to be doing a lot of meat as you stated get a good grinder! I would suggest at least a nice  * pound grinder with a .35 to 1/2 hp motor. If you can afford it a 12 pounder would be a good investment with a 1/2 to 3/4 hp motor.

Do not get one of those department store grinders they are worth the energy to carry them if you plan to really use it. I have had really good luck with LEM and they are great people and stand behind theirstuff.

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/electric_grinders