Author Topic: Swelling, Tiny Bubbles In Paste & Yeasty Smell - From Buttermilk Starter?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline SayCheese!

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
I had some buttermilk in the fridge (left over from churning sweet cream butter) about a week old.  When I made mozzarella this week I decided to do the same procedure at the same time with my buttermilk - so I added the lactic acid starter, then an hour later the proper amount of rennet.  40 minutes later I had clean break so I cut the curd.  I use Mrs. KK's recipe for Mozzarella so I left it to acidify overnight.  It was a little cool in the house, so all my cheese took longer to acidify - about 24 hours.  I stretched the regular batches of Mozz but the buttermilk batch seemed a little as if I had added yeast...it smelled slightly yeasty and had little air bubbles.  I put it in the fridge because I didn't know if it was safe to eat....  Any ideas on what might be going on?  (Thanks for any replies!)  ???  BJ
BJ

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Alison

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Hi BJ

If you are still wondering about you "yeasty" buttermilk starter moz - I don't know if you are aware that you can expect a yeasty smell on other cheeses (I get it after 3 days on a drying reblochon, but I don't see bubbles as it is a semi-hard by that stage). I doubt it will be dangerous, though you may not intend to repeat the buttermilk experiment. But since my moz is sometimes slimy and I'm not dead yet, I venture to guess that some bacteria (gas producing ones) get over productive when you left the milk, I think that a similar problem arises when I don't stir my moz enough (at the curd in whey stage). Still since my sterilization protocol is pretty strict except for using good raw milk, I think the bacteria should be friendly ones.. I hope

Regards
Alison