Author Topic: Milk Goats  (Read 4995 times)

Brian

Milk Goats
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:27 PM »
Howdy folks.
Never owned goats before and was told by someone that unless the goat has had a kid, you can't get milk.  Is this true.  I know that's not true with milk cows.

Thanks

Megan

Re: Milk Goats
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
Unless she's a precocious milker/had cloudburst than yes she'll have to kid to bag up.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
Trust me Brian,
Except for one noted biblical case any mammal needs to have conjugal relations in order to make milk.  I speak as a cow and goat owner as well as having a degree in biology.
CC

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:27 AM »
I believe that pregnancy is required to induce any milk production. It's the hormones.  Now there is such a thing as a wet nurse (in human cultures) women who specifically nurse other people's babies, but I think everyone of those women were pregnant before they became "wet nurses". They just keep nursing, even after their own children have been weaned.  (gods... what a life! no thanks!) 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
That's not necessarily true I've seen episodes on Law and Order where a teenage girl tricks her brain to think she is pregnant and she spontaniously lactates, I saw it on Law and Order so it must be true.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
That's not necessarily true I've seen episodes on Law and Order where a teenage girl tricks her brain to think she is pregnant and she spontaniously lactates, I saw it on Law and Order so it must be true.

Well I've heard rumours that some men will lactate if their nipples are stimulated enough, but I don't believe that, either.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Gosh LL,
That would explain these funny stains on my shirts ;D
CC

wharris

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
:)

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
Holy crap Wayne... Kind of hard to disguise the fact that I'm screwing around on the internet at work when I'm laughing my Arse off!!

wharris

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
Actually, I was looking for the "meet the parents" video clip of the milk scene:

Greg Focker: You can milk just about anything with nipples.
Jack Byrnes: I have nipples, Greg, could you milk me?

But I found what i posted instead,  i kinda thought it was funnier.
;)

chilipepper

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
Wayne, that is actually what I was expecting when I saw the title on the video of "Meet the Parents" ... maybe that is why it took me so off guard! :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 08:38:12 PM »
Was funny, but would have been funnier if the guy came up with a milk mustache on.

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
I'm so glad for my recent conversion to satellite internet service - I would have had to miss out on that with the dial-up.

Thanks for the laugh!

On a more serious note - I have heard of goats that spontaneously lactate, but have never heard of it with cows.  There are some cows that are persistent milkers (giving milk for 2 or more years in between calves) BUT they have calved in the first place.