Author Topic: Can you "engineer" a pasture?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Back 2 The Frotture

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Can you "engineer" a pasture?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
I would be interested in seeing this summary you mentioned.  Perhaps your idea just needs a few compromises or evolutions.  This subject is too interesting to drop off the dock.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 42
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Can you "engineer" a pasture?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
I've got a bunch of stuff, incl. that summary.  Just PM me with your e-mail, or PM me and I can give you my e-mail, I'll send them your way.  Do you read French?  A lot of the literature I peruse is in French.  My summary is a .doc, the others are all PDFs. 

Keep in mind when you look at my summary, is that these are all species actually observed eaten - any flora that were not favored by the cows in the lower pastures and higher Abondance alpages were excluded from the studies.

I mentioned to you, I'm extremely traditionalist in so many ways.  I'm also a purist, to a fault with no false plea begging meant - it really is a fault.  It's not easy for me to compromise a vision, once conceived.  Unfortunately I may be forced to do just that, if I and my family remain here in the States.  I'm interested in doing some Rocky Mountain studies, as a start. 

It's also interesting to note - I believe it was in Voisin's Grass Productivity - that there are some studies discussing palatability of the same species at different altitudes.  The one that comes to mind mentions that the lower elevations tended to produce a woodier version at the same stage of apparent growth.  Which I find really interesting in terms of some of these more "bizarre" or surprising plants consumed. 
- Paul