Author Topic: Making goat cheese more "goaty" (stronger)  (Read 60 times)

Offline Botswanacheese

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Making goat cheese more "goaty" (stronger)
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:32 AM »
Hi all

I am new to the whole cheese making so all info is good. I have been using fresh goat milk from my farm and made simple goat "crumble" cheese using the heat and acid method by heating to 82 deg C then adding lemon juice and then white wine vinegar. The cheese comes out crumbly almost like a feta. I took this to a prospective client and they said they would like it stronger??? I assume more goaty, or more rich ??? my goat currently grazes out on grass and gets pellets as a substitute as the grazing is brown dry grass. what could I add to her diet to make it more stronger. Increase in fat/ protein or what. The cheese is very bland if I compare to other goats cheese. Is it my method or could it be my breed. She is s simple local bread goat that we find everywhere in Botswana.
Thanks for your help.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 183
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Making goat cheese more "goaty" (stronger)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I have made very little acid-coagulated cheese such as you describe, but my understanding is that it is always going to be relatively bland. If you can use cultures to ripen the milk and rennet to coagulate it, you will get more flavor, especially if you let it set a couple of days in a cool place before consuming it. To get the full flavor, you will need to do a longer aging.

Note that I do not have access to goat's milk, so I may be missing something - hopefully others on the board with goat milk experience will chime in!
-- Andy

Online SOSEATTLE

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
I agree with Andy. Using culture fermentation to form the curd will help. Aging the goat cheese will definitely increase  the "goaty" flavor.

Susan

Online Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
Hello Botswanacheese,
Adding Lipase when adding your culture makes cheese more "goaty" ...  I use it when making feta with mixed cow and goat milk ...don't go nuts on the stuff... a pinch will do :)

Good luck!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 31
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »
you need to try a cultured cheese and really long lactic acid set , if you can stretch it out to 24 hrs or more before it hit ph of 4.4 then you will get loads of flavor .

I would suspect you could make your own culture ..... leave a jar of fresh milk out on the counter over night until the curd seperate from the whey. Then use 1.5% by weight to start a new culture overnight . Do that 3 or 4 times and you will culture out dangerous organisms .

Basically it is goat kefir .

Speaking of which you could also use kefir to set the curd .  That would make some sharp cheese .