Chimay style, Belgian abbey cheese

Started by max1, August 21, 2011, 11:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boofer

Quote from: max1 on November 15, 2011, 11:11:44 PM
I even saw another video where the guy was making cheese in a room that opened onto where he kept the cows... go figure  :o
I think that was a 360 degree panoramic view of the room, right? Agreed, too close for my comfort. Not much room in those chalets though. You do what you gotta do.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

smilingcalico

@Max, not aggressive in the least.
@Tomer, I've tried salting and not salting the beer.  I've not noticed a difference, so I don't salt it anymore.  I understand the logic of salting it, but good, consistent end results tell me there's no need.

dthelmers

Here's the Gouda that I soaked in stout for three days. It was five weeks old when I soaked it. The stout imparts a nice flavor to the cheese, and looks quite nice.

max1

That looks incredible!  Beautiful color to the rind too!  How was the paste texture?

JeffHamm

That looks fantastic!  Well done.  How did the stout turn out?

- Jeff

dthelmers

The paste was quite typical Gouda in texture, with a good flavor. The milk was local from a friend who keeps a single cow. Without having made two cheeses and comparing the stout soaked to the other one without soaking, I can't say how much difference the stout made, except that I can certainly taste it and it adds complexity to the taste. The stout was my own home brewed with Irish ale yeast. After soaking, I let it sit at room temperature, about 55-60 degrees F for several days, and it developed a whitish powdery texture. Thanks to Smilingcalico for sharing this idea - the cheese was a big success at Thanksgiving today!

Boofer

Congrats, Dave.

It looks quite tasty.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

smilingcalico

Great to hear, Dave.  I've never eaten one that young.  We always age it two months so the flavors really meld together. Glad to hear of your success!

dthelmers

I'll certainly make more this way, and age them out properly. I couldn't resist trying this and serving it at Thanksgiving. Here's a cheese for the inspiration!

dthelmers

Here's a follow up on this cheese. I vacuum sealed one half and aged it out another 3 months. The flavor developed quite a lot. It was quite sharp and aromatic. I'm not sure how to describe the flavor: sharp like a blue cheese, but with a very different nose. I couldn't decide if I really liked it or not, but a friend who quite enjoys a lot of very aromatic French cheeses was very pleased with it, and I gave him the remainder because he loved it so much. My experience in cheese has been rather limited, I need to explore a bit to see what various cheeses taste like; but all in all I would say that this was a real success, and I'll make some more this spring.

Cloversmilker

Thanks for updating this.  I think that I'll try something along these lines with a Gouda as soon as I have a plain one at 6 to 8 weeks. 

dthelmers

I was inspired to do this by the picture from SmilingCalico earlier in this thread, and she soaks hers the next day. I soaked mine at six weeks because that's how old it was when I saw the picture, and wanted mine to look like that! The next time I make this, I'll soak it as soon as it's dry to the touch, and then age it for two months.

Cloversmilker

Okay; I have plans for the Gouda I'm making on Saturday.   ;D

This sounds a bit like a cabre al vino with a gouda make.  I am very fond of hard cider; I wonder how soaking in hard cider would turn out. 

smilingcalico

SmilingCalico is a he, but no offense taken.  I realize calicos are all female, I just happen to like them.  Hmm, hard cider, try it and let us know! 

DeejayDebi

OoooOoooo Dave beautiful gouda! That is worth a cheese even if this is not your thread!