Author Topic: First try with blue  (Read 3353 times)

kkey

First try with blue
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »

Started my first blue attempt yesterday using the WA Cheese guild stilton-esque recipe. I used 1 gallon of raw goat milk.   It seemed fine until I started stirring the curds and they broke into smaller pieces than the nominal 1 inch cubes I was supposed to cut them into.  When I drained them they were expelling whey like no-tomorrow.  I finally molded them after returning home 5 hours later and they looked quite firm and on the dry side. After flipping every 15 minutes for an hour, then every 30 minutes, now 2x daily, the curd is barely compressing together.  So my question to the experienced out there, is this normal?  Or was the small curd size to blame in drying out too fast? 

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: First try with blue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Maybe the curds got cooked at a high temp thats why it lost more moisture than you want. From the picture it doesn't look that dry, mine was drier but it held very well because i left it in the mold for a week.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
You made it the day before yesterday and you've already unmolded it? I believe the recipe calls for it to remain in the mold for 4 days. You'd get some compaction over that time from having the curds in the mold under their own compression.

Aris is right...the curds look moist.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

kkey

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Okay thanks. I've mostly been making lactic cheeses since beginning a few months ago, so i'm not used to firm curds like this.    I only took them out of the mold for the photo op yesterday, but today they have pulled away from the sides of the mold so I don't think its doing much anymore.  Overall its quite crumbly as little bits keep tumbling off when I inspect it (good reason to keep in the mold away from my tinkering). I've enjoyed reading both of  your blue experiences here and will post some photos on how this one progresses.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
but today they have pulled away from the sides of the mold so I don't think its doing much anymore.

If it holds together and the acid is right, then you're done. Personally, I would leave it for at least 3 days to ferment.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
I leave my blues in the hoop for a whole week or until I start to see a hint of blue. 3 days draining at room temp and then into the cave - hoop and all. The hoop itself creates an extra humid micro climate that helps kick start the blue. For me, that is a fool proof way to get blues off to a good start. However, blues hate to have their feet wet for long, so once you see even a hint of blue, the hoop must be removed or you can quickly choke the blue.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »
Thanks, kkey, I enjoyed your pics. Nice and clear.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

kkey

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:21:02 AM »
Okay, so tomorrow is the big day where I need to move my blue to the cave. Its looking pretty nice and already smells like a blue cheese. There's a little brown spot that might need attending to (see attached photo). I'm also wondering what the contamination risk is when moving this to my mini dorm fridge. I have 6 little PC covered cheeses in there now, so maybe the PC will resist attack by the blue?

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:43 AM »
so maybe the PC will resist attack by the blue?
More likely, if the PC already covers the rounds you have, then some PC will spread to the blue.

kkey

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:20:44 AM »
Well that sounds manageable. Thanks for posting your recipes and comments; they've been a great resource for learning.

kkey

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Here's an update on stilton #1.  The blue on the outside has basically been stagnant since I put it in the cave. Initially I didn't have a plastic bin for this cheese so perhaps the 80%RH in my fridge was too low for it to thrive. Its also started taking on some white PC growth (see first photo).  Today I pierced it all over with an ice pick and now I hope that it will spring back to life.  The pick smelled a little bit like my other goat cheeses; nothing blue smelling going on inside yet.   Is this one doomed?

I had a second try at the recipe and I was more careful with cutting to the correct size and maintaining the temperature.  Stilton #2 had much more blue growth on it when it went into the cave, and this time I got some small bins for each cheese (keeping the lid cracked, wiping condensation away daily). See second photo for #2. It too has started showing some PC contamination.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:06:45 PM by kkey »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
Do the curds on the edge seem translucent? They look like they could be somewhat harder and drier than the rest of the curds.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

kkey

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
Another update: Now at 5 weeks for #1 and 4 weeks for #2. I pierced them again last week since the first holes had closed up. They are getting some red/pink hues and are starting to smell amazing. They are also softening up quite nicely (not too much, at least so far), which alleviates my initial fears of them being too dry and hard.  I had to move them into a container with some PC/Geo cheeses a few weeks ago and they seem to be handling it okay.  Another few weeks to go; looking forward to tasting them!

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
I don't think aging that for another few weeks is a good idea. It looks already dry and it will probably ammoniate if you age it longer. It looks terrible as it is, i dont know if aging it longer will make it better. Just fyi, recipes are not accurate. Just because a recipe said age it for X months or year, doesn't mean you should too. You should judge your cheese by its looks, smell, texture and taste. Use an apple corer to check the progress of your blue cheese. If you dont have one, you can make a triangular incision on the top and try to remove a piece. Once you seen the inside and tasted it, put it back. If your happy with the flavor, eat it. If its bitter, age it longer. If it taste terrible, it will just worsen with age.

kkey

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
Well then, I guess it is time to sample at least one of them:)  See photo below. The rind is fairly thick and dry, but the insides are nice looking and are tasty.  It's not quite as complex tasting as a real stilton, but maybe that's what the extra 6 weeks would bring (if it wasn't too dry).  I'm happy with this as my first attempt; time to get some milk and try again.