Author Topic: Cream Cheese not firming up?  (Read 1233 times)

bmckee561

Cream Cheese not firming up?
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Hello all.  I have been away from this forum for some time and have not had an opportunity to make cheese, but I now have the time to continue.

I made a Cream Cheese following this recipe:

1 qt. Whole Milk - Pasteurized
1 qt. Heavy Cream - Ultra Pasteurized
1/8 t. Meso-M
1/4 t. Calcium Chloride
1 t. weak rennet solution

Heated milk and cream to 86F. and removed from heat.
Sprinkled Meso-M over surface ans allowed to bloom for 3 minutes then stirred in gently along with calcium chloride solution.
Added rennet solution and stirred gently for 1/2 minute.

Cover pot (stainless) and allowed to sit overnight a 68F.

This morning I was to ladle the soft curd into a colander lined with a double layer of fine cheese cloth and so I attempted this, however the curd was very runny  and drained immediately into the bowl below.

All ingredients were fresh.  The milk was pasteurized and the heavy cream was ultra pasteurized.  I made a weak solution of rennet us1/4 rennet tablet and 1/4 cup distilled water. I used the entire 1/4 cup of rennet solution in the batch.

Can anyone determine or suggest where I might have screwed up ?

I am thinking the heavy cream being ultra pasteurized was most likely the cause of failure, but I have not attempted a cream cheese for some time and I can not locate my recipe from previous batches made, so I used a recipe from the Leeners website.  Could increased calcium chloride have avoided this?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Salute!   :)

Cheese Head

Re: Cream Cheese not firming up?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
No big problem, lactic curd aet can take longer than 12 hours, there's some compiled info in our Wiki: Coagulation article on lactic acid coagulation.

Personally I've gotten a more rapid very soft lactic coagulation when I use temperatures warmer than 68F, I'd raise the temp for the next 12 hours to say ~75F to get a faster microorganism reproduction and thus lactic acid production and thus curd set.

bmckee561

Re: Cream Cheese not firming up?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
Thanks John.  I will relocate the curd to a warmer environment for overnight and see how that works.

Salute!   :)