Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Carter's Version 2.0  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Curd Cutter - Carter's Version 2.0
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:27:10 AM »
Ok so now that I know my construction works for stringing the wires I went ahead and built two new perfect curd knives. Here are a couple of pics of the frames all welded and buffed. I will string the wires tomorrow. They are all stainless steel and the handle are solid. Got a sweet deal on a 5' section of 5/8" solid stainless steel for $5. I recently changed metal supplier as the old ones were screwing me. I can't believe the new company is literally 50% cheaper. The one with two cross bars are for the horizontal cuts. The one with one bar is for vertical cuts. In pictures I've seen for vertical cuts they have another long bar down the center, but to me if the sides are not supported they will start to buckle when the wires are stung. My way makes it much more sturdy. They are both 8" wide and 24" tall.

wharris

Re: Curd Cutter - Carter's Version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »
These look great.  Nicely done.  a couple of questions.

What gas is required to weld SS?
Aslo, what are the dimentions of your SS flatbar?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:06:09 AM »
OH you want me to talk about gas!  ;D Depends on what type of welding, if it's Tig welding then straight argon, if it's mig welding TriMix which is expensive. I tigged these as I want the welds to be small, accurate and sanitary. Sanitary welds are welds without holes in the puddle. Hard to explain unless you weld. Mig welding leaves tons of little holes. The SS flatbar is 1/2" x 1/8". Very flimsy until you weld up a frame.

P.S. I'm just going to make 1/2" cut ones, then when I cut the curd I can double cut, or if I'm feeling up to it next week I'll make 1/4" ones. Knowing me I'll be doing that.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
Carter, those look fantastic. You do realize that you are killing me, right? Have I mentioned that I really want to get a quality set of curd knives??
Do you also realize that coveting is a sin and with your photos you are causing this to happen in my life???
Okay, that's enough guilt laid for now.
I'll be back later with more (btw, Jewish mothers have NOTHING on Irish mothers when it comes to laying guilt. I have been taught well).  ;D

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »
Let chose a few words from that last statement shall we? Sin, Covet, Laid, killing, knives, life, guilt. Sounds like a script for Law and Order.

Sorry about the drool factor Dave but remember pace yourself, you have a new cheese press coming, that should hold you over. Remember professional curd knives are $2000, at least from my competition. ;D

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
Carter, those look really good. Did you drill a ton of little holes to string the wire through to do one continuous run or are you doing each wire individually? 

What TIG welder are you using?  I've been 'shopping' for a used Miller here locally for the  last 3 years and still have not uncovered anything worth while.  Here with all the oilfield activity lately (may be drying up again with the barrel price) we have a lot of welders but mostly truck mounted MIG setups.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
Thanks Ryan, I have a 300amp Miller. I weld my neighbors cars door shut at night. I always thought about using my plasma cutter to cut a car in half if they cut me off in traffic. OOPs thought this was my therapy session.

The wires were not on in that pic here is a pic of the finished vertical knife. I'm going into the shop in few minutes to do the Horizontal cut. No I don't string the wires through, that won't work, once you bend the wire around the side it will crease on the edge of the metal and then as you string it retentioning which is the most important part would be impossible. And drilling small holes in SS is almost impossible, you would go through a ton of bits.

chilipepper

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »
SA-WEEET!!!   8)

You definately have that nailed now. What did you end up with for the wire?  SS fishing line?

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Carter, looks great, makes me sorry I'm not making cheese batches that big! Congrats!

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »
Carter...
Once again, I'm more than impressed. You certainly have a nack for manufacturing.
Great looking work!

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »
Thanks. I'm using the same wire I used before it's welding wire .023. I just finished the hoziontal cut one. I'll post pics later today. I've definately got the technique down, it's really not that hard once you employ the right skills.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:13:15 AM »
I just can say WOW.  Wish I could build that or find someone here to build them for me based on your pictures.  They look great!

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:18:53 AM »
Sing/Gerrit & Others

FYI, Carter has a website in his profile where he's going to be making and selling his knives.

Likesspace

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:58 AM »
Carter,
One thing I have been concerned about, (and Wayne mentioned this in an earlier post), is the fact that when introducing the knife into the curd you will smash a half inch wide section of the curd to bits.
After seeing these photos I see you have taken care of that problem...
By making an angled handle, the knife can be inserted at a sharp angle and then leveled out once it is in place. If I'm picturing this correctly, that will only affect the curd by the 1/8" thickness of the flat bar. FANTASTIC DESIGN!
You never cease to amaze me with your ability.
I'll be contacting you for a set of these, shortly.
Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 04:10:58 AM »
Thanks Dave. All the design are this way and when I insert it into curds that has set properly it just breaks and allows it in. It really doesn't hurt it.